Noisy Power!

soundsearcher

I've had noisy power in my home studio. It's mostly noticeable with my guitar amps and monitor speakers. I purchased a Furman power conditioner and that doesn't help. Could it be a ground issue? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks in advance for your help!

There’s not much you can do except call an electrician or power company causing the problem.

Before I moved in my house I’m in now, I had noisy power on my old one, but only for certain things. It was weird.

There’s not much you can do except call an electrician or power company causing the problem.

Before I moved in my house I’m in now, I had noisy power on my old one, but only for certain things. It was weird.
My electrician was just here yesterday and said there was nothing he knew to do.
He did suggest it could be a grounding issue and that a ground loop might help but that is several hundred $ for a "might"
My assumption is that others have had issues with this and have found ways to resolve the issue.
I assume it's not a unique problem for me.
I can post a short video of one of my amps.

My electrician was just here yesterday and said there was nothing he knew to do.
He did suggest it could be a grounding issue and that a ground loop might help but that is several hundred $ for a "might"
My assumption is that others have had issues with this and have found ways to resolve the issue.
I assume it's not a unique problem for me.
I can post a short video of one of my amps.
I did have an issue like yours, and it was not solved except for by moving to a new house.

When you play guitar, does the volume of noise go up and down depending on how it’s oriented? Also, if you record it, we can see if it’s 60 cycle.

I would think an electrician could tell if you had a grounding issue in your house wiring or not. If all the outlets in your room are on the same circuit (likely, but not certain), and that wiring is "correct," then grounding problems are the fault of whatever you're plugging in to it. So, process of elimination to figure out what pieces or specific connections are generating the noise. I.e., start with the interface and computer plugged in and record "nothing" to confirm at least that much is clean. Add one by one, and when some noise enters, change the order of pieces to see if it's a specific combination or just the last thing you added. Etc.

Have a [voltage regulating] UPS for the computer and external drives, and a Carvin conditioner for everything else. All my noise come from the AC inside our house, and the planes and lawnmowers outside.

Back