Noise problems when recording harp

I don't know those mics, but that means nothing. Looking at them, you could try the NX-9 or the JS-22. I think for your setup, the NX-9 would be a good place to start. Remember, these require phantom power. But if these mics are good and your interface isn't the problem, your hiss should be less. You will still get some, but hopefully within your tolerance.

Couple of thoughts...
You are running Steinberg's ASIO drivers? If perchance you are using Windows drivers they can be noisy if levels are set wrongly.

Secondly, a harp is a big ole lump! It is usual to use two mics on a piano and often acoustic guitar. Personally I would go for a "Co-I pair" as any noise seems spread between the speakers and much less noticeable.

Dave.

Latest news on the matter: They didn't have any condenser mics or preamps at the music store, but were willing to dive into that and order some. Instead they borrowed me a mixer (Yamaha MG06X) to use instead of a preamp. Now I have tried it, but no matter how I adjust the gains and levels on the mixer and soundcard I don't get a satisfying result. It's about the same hiss levels as before. I tried with both the dynamics and the condenser. Maybe that mixer still is a good thing to have, but to get rid of the hiss I guess I need to step up even earlier at the chain - the mic. So I'm gonna read deeper in the forums to gather tips on good mics for harps and see if my music store can order any of them for me to try.

Dave> Yes, I'm using Steinberg's ASIO drivers. I also have ASIO4all to use when the Steinberg device isn't connected. And yes, two mics, or more, is probably better so I think I will buy two if I find any nice ones. Now I'm playing on a folk harp, so it's not as huge as the orchester monsters, but I guess it's still a bit hard for only one mic to manage.

Keeping my hopes up.

The local music store, though very nice and serviceminded, could not order a bunch of condenser mics for me to try out (thay are to small for that kind of service). So I searched the internet and ordered a Rode NT1-A from ordermusic.com, it's supposed to be a very quiet mic. I haven't had time to try it out very much, but from the tests I did I find the hiss less, but still there and probably too much for my liking. And I could record with zero gain on the soundcard this time. I will try it out some more (like putting it in a suitcase and put a bunch of blankets on top just to see how much of the hiss is room noise) and I will also try and move the computer and everything to another table, to get away from any snakepits of cables, maybe even kill the main power to my house to rule out electrical interference. Any more things you suggest I could try?

I've been listening to some youtube-reviews on the NT1-A and I'm just so envious of how quiet they manage to record it. Then I found some NT1-A´s recorded through a Steinberg CI1 and aha! I heard some hiss there. (Hard to say why though, could be anything causing it on those youtube-clips.)

How much hiss do you guys get on your raw recordings? Say, when you are recording acoustic instruments?

I will try to put some more samples together when I get home.

And this is just a horror story from my tryouts:
I put the mic in my closet and closed the dorr (as much as I could, that is) and whent out to my laptop and put the headphones on, praying not to hear anything, no hiss and no ghosts! I'm all alone and there shouldn't be anything or anyone that could cause any noise. Turned the gain up and up and up, and hear something! (And not only hiss). Gah! My heart skipped some beats. Untill I realised it was a mouse scratching in the wall. Cursed a bit before I yelled at the poor thing that it's only -15 outside, go and get out again!
I think I should spend less time listening to those 10-most-unexplained-soundrecordnings-on-youtube-stuff.

Think I can take that back. Tried some more with the NT1-A, and raised the gain to about 60-75% and this time it gave me better result:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...2410&authkey=!AF06UCOq3CURxLU&ithint=file,wav
(sorry about any out of tune performances)
What do you think, I can't complain about that hiss level, can I? :)
So now I guess I can start experimenting some with mic placement (I don't really like the tone so far) and start to record more or less naked, the thing that makes the most hiss-like sound now is my clothes. (I wore a slim polo on the recording, I thought it was pretty quiet but I guess not quiet enough). Actually, my fridge is on in the background here, and for really really quiet recordings I got the option to turn the fridge of too.

Thank you guys for insisting on getting a condenser. I was about to loose heart for a moment there, but now I've picked it up again.

Back