Noise on track

Chuku

So after choosing SM57 over AT 2020 for Acoustic (SM57 sounded better), i had to crank up the gain to almost 99% on my interface because otherwise the volume would be too Low, I could hear the "Hssssss" kind of noise on the track after recording..:wtf:
I struggled so hard to get the perfect track but this Hissss thingis making me mad. :spank:

Can i remove it from my track?
What can i do to prevent it on next time? Because i need a good level of volume and without cranking up i will not get good volume and also don't want those unwanted noise.

There's nothing wrong with an SM57 but its not that sensitive if you're recording fairly gentle picked acoustics - I use a 57 for recording loud electric guitars and pretty harsh loud vocals - but use a condenser for acoustics.

There's a couple of things you can do to minimise hiss in this case:
1. Play harder/louder, put more into it so you need less input gain.
2. Add a noise-gate in your DAW to just eliminate hiss you can set this quite low in the background - it will clip off the decay of your notes though if you've got sections where you like it to ring out.
3. Get a more sensitive mic which requires less additional gain. This may introduce noise itself though if its a cheap one. And if you're in a noisy area of the city a condenser will pick up loads of noise from outside.

Post up some of your clips mate.

Back