Noise in Power.

demensia

www.lukemacneil.com
I'm not sure where exactly this problem is comming from.. randomly, but frequently I hear a large amount of noise through my speakers and my headphone amp. This seems to have happened around the time I upgraded my monitors and balanced my connections. At first, I thought it was the monitors, but turning them off... I can hear the noise through my headphones as well. I'm not sure if its a cable, or if its my soundcard (delta 44). Heres my monitoring chain.

Delta 44 balanced (trs) out to behringer headphone amp, pass through to monitors (xlr).

I've also noticed that on my balanced connections I have to jack up my preamps all the way to get a hot signal.. I could just be used to working on unbalanced connections, but from what I've read, my understanding is that the balanced connections should be louder and quieter than the unbalanced connections. I'm finding this to be the other way around and I dont know where to start troubleshooting.

I have my computer plugged into a UPS (APC BACK-UPS 650), I have all my rack gear and my monitors plugged into one of those overpriced monster power strips for recording.

I'd like to say nothing has changed from last month to this month, but I've pretty much upgraded all of my gear. I tried to use one of those furman power conditioners.. the one with the LED readout and the lights, but I had the same problem. I just took it back.. I have a few wall warts that dont hang so well on the rack mount power strip.

I wish I could describe the noise better.. Its not radio.. maybe something turning on somewhere, its brief, loud, and it sounds like when its done it fades away.. or spins down. I am sucking an awful lot of power out of the wall.. I have 3 badass surge protectors chained together off of the same outlet... Its powering 2 computer, a monitor, my rack, and a bunch of other devices and peripherals.

It doesn't seem like the sound is being recorded, but its very distracting in the monitors and headphones.

Turning off the beringer does not resolve the problem.

Any ideas or suggestions on troubleshooting steps.

I put this in this forum because I suspect the noise is comming from the delta 44. Its got the latest drivers and all, but it could be the computer.

Thanks.

I found it!
I recently bought a 160 Gb external seagate hard drive.. That thing is doing it.
When I shut it off, the problem immediatly goes away... Whenever the computer wrote to that drive, I got the noise.

I was starting to get really pissed.

Back