noise gate on Roland VS1680

phatstadt

What is the easiest way to put a noise gate on 3 mic inputs of a VS1680. I use the 2 XLR inputs for SM57 used to mic 2 Marshall in stereo. The 3rd mic is a Neumann TL103 through tube preamp + compression.
The problem is that the Marshalls have noise, and the Neumann picks up even steps of my cats 30 feet away.
So far, I've only been able to use the build-in noise gate by inserting it in one of the mic lines, but then the effect is no longer available, since I'm not using the effect send/return but in-line.
Does this mean that I need to purchase an outside multi-channel noise gate?
If yes, how would I get the inputs back into the mixing board? Also, wouldn't I lose the mic pre-amps if I did that?

Help...

You could always just send me the Neumann and solve your problem that way.... :)
Isn't that more of a mic for acoustic lower dB sounds?

I use the Neumann for vocals, not the Marshalls. But even when tracking the vocals alone, the mic picks up even the rumble of the power supply of the VS1680. If I only track one channel at a time, then I'm OK as I don't need the noise gate for anything else, so Insert works. However, if I'm micing the Marshalls in stereo, then I can only noise gate one of them. Not sure what to do except using an outside 2 or 4 channel noise gate, but not sure how to set it up with the VS1680.

Back