Nobody puts baby in the corner (cover)

snakeyez

Hey guys, i just recorded an acoustic version of FOB's "nobody puts baby in the corner" and was wondering if i could get some criticism and / or feedback on it.

Thanks!

I think vocals sound really great for most of the song particularly when you're belting it.

The guitar track however I was less inspired by. The rhythm throughout the song is pretty shaky. The cuts between the different sections of the songs also don't sound very natural.

How was the guitar tracked (mics, setup, room, etc...) ? The guitar sounds very flat (not tuning, but the tone of the recording).

Thanks for the compliment on the vox. :)

Yeah, i agree with you on the guitar, but i am not the greatest guitarist, and the song's strumming patterns change up a lot. I guess i just need to practice a bit.

I was using my Alvarez w/ my AT4040 mic for both vox and guitar, going into DMP3 preamp, then Delta-44. I dont know much about equalizing or mastering at all really. I probably should try to re-play that guitar part. lol

I was just playing my guitar about 3-4 ft from my mic, in an untreated basement, sort of in the middle of the room.

Yeah, i would definitely take another couple cracks at that guitar part. You're almost there. With some more practice and maybe the use of a metronome, you should be able to nail it.

Do you have a second mic you can use? Since it's just vox and guitar, I think you'll get a much fuller sound by recording the guitar in stereo. Alternatively, if you don't have another mic, consider practicing a whole bunch until you can play the part consistently. Then double up the track panning one hard right, and the other hard left. just a thought...

Also, consider bringing the mic in closer to the guitar (more like 1 foot away rather than 3-4 feet), and also playing around with where and what direction in the room you record.

Back