"No Strings On Me"

stratmonkee

Wondering how this is sounding to fresh ears. Finished tracking some vocals and quick mix, probably on fatigued ears.

Sounds good to me (reminds me of Minutemen). I'd like to hear the mixed version once you have it done. I'd probably try to differentiate the last verse that plays out the song - maybe introduce another instrument, add double stops an octave up etc. :)

Ya knowwww.. The opening and the first half are little shades of YES' Owner Of A Lonely Heart. Not as rhythmic, but the thin sound and the drum intro hint at it..

Hey Strat what kind of reverb do you put on the vocal? I don't think it's blending with the backing tracks. Having said that it's got your signature sound which I like. The mix is kind of a mess compared to your other jams. I like the tune but the drums seem to be in another space

frank1985 - Thanks ! I like The Minuteman so cool comp! Agree need to add something to end of song to drive it home, working on it today so will try some stuff out, thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it!​

spantini - That's cool about the Yes sound, another of my favorite bands and always liked that album for the complete departure from the classic "Yes" sound, have to say , was not going for that , and I want to work on the drum sound , not happy with the overall "brittle" sound they have...to me. Thanks for your comments!​

Bulls Hit - Ahh yes...those vocals are a mess, both sonically and performance wise. Going to do a complete re track today. I normally track my vocals with a little reverb or delay, in my ears/monitor, but they are tracked dry and I add plugins as needed...this time I didn't, and it is not good . Going to work on this today and will post my new mix! Thanks as always for your feedback, that's why I love this place!​

Pretty much gutted this song from original post. Decided to go with a more spoken word "vocal" for the verse. Also put together a whole new drum track using Simon Phillips loop collection and also some Betamonkee. The link at top of post will play the new version..had to trash the original:>)
Here is a link as well:

Pretty much gutted this song from original post. Decided to go with a more spoken word "vocal" for the verse. Also put together a whole new drum track using Simon Phillips loop collection and also some Betamonkee. The link at top of post will play the new version..had to trash the original:>)
Here is a link as well:
An improvement, I think. I really like from 1:42 to 3:02 and I'm really diggin' that bass sound.

But.. I'm hearing what sounds like some electronic popping in the opening :20. Is that by design?

It's not something that I would typically listen to, but dang it, I have played it 3 times just to dig on the guitar solo!!!! It's intoxicating.

An improvement, I think. I really like from 1:42 to 3:02 and I'm really diggin' that bass sound.

But.. I'm hearing what sounds like some electronic popping in the opening :20. Is that by design?
Thanks! I did change the bass eq up a bit and added a touch of flange , not sure what that pop is, I hear it to ...not by design have to look at the tracks and find the culprit.
I think the YES comparison is a little harsh - it's not that bad surely? ;) :p
Haha! Not a Yes fan I take it? :LOL:

It's not something that I would typically listen to, but dang it, I have played it 3 times just to dig on the guitar solo!!!! It's intoxicating.
Cool, thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came out...pretty much just shooting from the hip :-)

...not sure what that pop is, I hear it to ...not by design have to look at the tracks and find the culprit.
I wasn't sure if it was you or Soundcloud as I've been getting lots of similar popping sounds from there on various other material. They're especially heavy at the start and first few seconds of everything I've been listening to lately. Some are as harsh as a dirty tone pot scratching away.

Pretty slick my friend. Very cool production. If it's still under construction, I'd like the drums and bass to hit a little harder. A very minor quibble. I actually like this.

Wow that jam at 2.00 is crazy. I don't remember that from the first version. Nice job on the makeover. The vocal effects at the start are excellent. I like the guitar stab driving all the way through. The vocal edit around 3.00 is a bit rough. Jamming large it's great!

Wondering how this is sounding to fresh ears. Finished tracking some vocals and quick mix, probably on fatigued ears.

No mix comments, but this song is so cool. I apologize for resurrecting stuff from two months ago, but I'm checking out what this forum's been up to, and this one shines. It belongs on the same album as 'Green Angry Man'. This is what I inhabit the less shiny parts of the internet for.

No mix comments, but this song is so cool. I apologize for resurrecting stuff from two months ago, but I'm checking out what this forum's been up to, and this one shines. It belongs on the same album as 'Green Angry Man'. This is what I inhabit the less shiny parts of the internet for.

I agree w/ Paul. Very different, bud. 2nd pass is improved. It's "cleaner" in feel.

It's kind of funny after all these years. We kind of don't have to go "OMG YOU COMPLETELY OVER COMPRESSED THAT!!" anymore. :D

I might nudge the opening section of the lead up a hair. It's a little too under the bed IMO. Really good performances here, and the nuances (ear candy) you employed is terrific.

Back