No sound when auditioning with the play tool? Can hear only midi?

mudcat

No audio when auditioning with the play tool? It works only in Midi tracks ? I CAN'T AUDITION VOCALS IN VARIAUDIO EITHER? I'VE TOGGLED SOMETHING AND CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT?....HELP!!

Last edited:
check to be sure nothing is muted of soloed and when in variaudio or midi editing tab there's an other SOLO option that you can toggle with S hotkey (if you didn't remap it)

Tell us what happens next

Thank you so much for responding! Nothing is soloed, all I can tell you is that when I bring up the control room mixer, only the control room VU works, not the phones? Not sure what you meant when you said i may have remapped it? Still very puzzled why it works in midi tracks and not audio? I realize I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm determined to figure this out!. Thanks again for your reply!
Any new ideas??

Last edited:
Thank you so much for responding! Nothing is soloed, all I can tell you is that when I bring up the control room mixer, only the control room VU works, not the phones? Not sure what you meant when you said i may have remapped it? Still very puzzled why it works in midi tracks and not audio? I realize I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm determined to figure this out!. Thanks again for your reply!
Any new ideas??

I've had issues with this before - I can't say that it will be the same solution for you, but disabling the control room entirely fixed my issue. I also found that with control room enabled I had no preview audio from MediaBay too. I believe Control Room replaces the internal 'audition buss' (which is normally invisible to the user), so if things are not 100% set up correctly it may be sending the audio to the wrong place. (https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=119049).
(edit: sorry mods, not sure of rules linking to other forums)

If disabling the control room works, then it's almost certainly a setup issue with control room, so experimenting with the routing there might work.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21283

Thanks for the reply! I disabled the control room and it fixed it!! I was about to pull my hair out on this one! Thank you!

Thanks for the reply! I disabled the control room and it fixed it!! I was about to pull my hair out on this one! Thank you!

No problem - took me nearly a year to figure out what was wrong when I had this...

I'm fairly sure it can be fixed by changing the routing settings for the control room, but as I use hardware with all the control room features I'm ever likely to use I can't offer any more suggestions!

Back