No Sound From Computer

MERC

I've never come across this but my computer will play sound if I'm listening to a cd but I get no sound from the computer. I cant play any MP3s on my computer, I can't play any online radio stations, no windows sounds like when i empty my recycle bin and it sounds like crumbling paper...NOTHING. Only time I get sound is if I play a CD in the CD drive. Any suggestions or comments how to fix? THANK YOU

Most likely, you don't have the audio cable connected from your cd drive to the sound card.

I assume you're plugging your headphones/speakers straight into the output on the cd drive. That's why u can hear the cd playing in the player.

You should check the 4-pin audio cable connection.

What sort of Sound Card do you have?

Are you listening to your CD's through the Headphone jack on the front of the PC?

Is there a conflict in the Device Manager with your sound card?

Where are you speakers plugged into? If you are listening to the CD through the front of the CD drive, have you tested your speakers in anything else?

When you 'play' mp3 files and can't hear them, if you are using Windows Media Player with visualisations do you see any (ie is the computer actually playing them)?

Probably not the last one as much as the ones before. That's just a start....

Porter

KevinTran said:
Most likely, you don't have the audio cable connected from your cd drive to the sound card.

I assume you're plugging your headphones/speakers straight into the output on the cd drive. That's why u can hear the cd playing in the player.

You should check the 4-pin audio cable connection.

That is mostly used to extract data form the CD in a digital format... otherwise it travels down the IDE Cable.

Porter

Merc,

My soundcard is a Terratec EWX24/96 and it has External Synch and Internal Synch buttons on the control panel.

It has to be set to External to play CDs and Internal to listen to MP3s. I don't hear anything if they aren't set to the appropriate position.

Does your soundcard have similar synch switching?

--
BluesMeister

Back