No signal coming from my microphone on my DAW

tyk111a

Hi all,
I am using macbook pro with mac os high sierra software and I am using behringer UMC204HD audio interface.

Macbook detects my audio interface, but when I go to my DAW ( Logic pro x) and I select the right inputs for my mic and both of my inputs and outputs are selected as my interface, but there is still no signal coming from my mic. I tried to check if my mic is false by connecting it to just a computer without audio interface and it worked fine, but when i connect it through audio interface, my DAW shows no signal whatsoever.

One more thing, when I connect both my speakers and mic to audio interface, when I put a bit of gain on my mic, I start to hear buzzing in my headphones, but no sound coming out.
Maybe anyone had the same problem? Any advice is helpful. Thank you!

Is the interface also the device selected in the System Preferences, i.e., do you hear iTunes or YouTube audio through your headphones when plugged into the interface? Make sure it's set up there, too and confirm the cabling is working.

Exacctly what kind of microphone are you using and how/where is it plugged in? Is it showing signal activity on the interface, e.g., is the SIG light on? Can you make the CLIP light go on by turning up the GAIN knob?

If everything's working like that so far, then make sure the track you have selected has its Input set to match where the working mic is plugged into the interface, i.e., 1 or 2. It really should be that simple (though there was another thread recently about someone not hearing an electric guitar - I didn't follow that, but maybe read that thread for clues).

I tried to check if my mic is false by connecting it to just a computer without audio interface and it worked fine, but when i connect it through audio interface, my DAW shows no signal whatsoever.

I also want to know what kind of mic this is. Are you using an XLR-male to XLR-female cable to connect the mic to the audio interface? I ask because if you can connect the mic directly to the computer there's more going on than you describe. Is the mic one of those super cheap "studio" mics that are meant to connect to the 3.5mm input, or is it a combo USB/XLR mic?

I also want to know what kind of mic this is. Are you using an XLR-male to XLR-female cable to connect the mic to the audio interface? I ask because if you can connect the mic directly to the computer there's more going on than you describe. Is the mic one of those super cheap "studio" mics that are meant to connect to the 3.5mm input, or is it a combo USB/XLR mic?
This microphone I’m using is InnoGear cardioid studio condenser microphone and it is combo mic as it came with 3.5mm XLR cable to plug into computer, but I couldn’t use that cable for my audio interface, so I bought another XLR to XLR cable, but it doesn’t work. Mic also needs 48V phantom power to work, but my interface already has that power. And all the inputs and outputs on my DAW were set correctly.

Is the interface also the device selected in the System Preferences, i.e., do you hear iTunes or YouTube audio through your headphones when plugged into the interface? Make sure it's set up there, too and confirm the cabling is working.

Exacctly what kind of microphone are you using and how/where is it plugged in? Is it showing signal activity on the interface, e.g., is the SIG light on? Can you make the CLIP light go on by turning up the GAIN knob?

If everything's working like that so far, then make sure the track you have selected has its Input set to match where the working mic is plugged into the interface, i.e., 1 or 2. It really should be that simple (though there was another thread recently about someone not hearing an electric guitar - I didn't follow that, but maybe read that thread for clues).
I am using InnoGear Cardioid studio condenser microphone. It is combo USB/XLR microphone.
Headphones are working fine through the interface, it’s only the mic that’s not working. And no, the green light sig doesn’t show up on my interface. It only comes up for a few seconds when I connect my interface to the computer and then it turns off.

And no, the green light sig doesn’t show up on my interface. It only comes up for a few seconds when I connect my interface to the computer and then it turns off.

That's important info. It seems the interface itself is not receiving signal. The two most likely scenarios in my mind are: 1) mic not compatible with a real XLR connection (because it was really made for 3.5mm?), 2) faulty XLR cable.

Can you try the mic on a different device with XLR mic level input? Can you try a different mic with your cable and interface? Can you get a different XLR cable to put between the mic and interface?

A cheap DMM (digital multimeter) would be handy for checking the cable and phantom power.

Where are you? Maybe someone on the forum can help in person.

Pretty sure that mic is NOT USB, it is in fact one of the "BM-800" variants and we have had quite few through here with problems, the QC is appalling.

I have bought two in the space of a year and been lucky, both work quite well. They work via the supplied 3.5mm TRS-XLR cable and into my KA6 interface via XLR-XLR but many people have reported noisy, low even NO output.

I do not know if the 3.5mm jack on a mac has the same polarizing voltage as a PC (Steen'?) but if so that mic should work quite well that way.

Very unlikely that a newly purchased XLR cable will be faulty but a check with a meter at the female end will prove it..DO go and get a $10 digital meter! (done know HOWTF peeps live without one!).

If you got the mic off Amazon you will surely have no trouble getting it replaced or refunded. I am sure they know 50% of them are brilliant for the price and 50% are ***t!

(old y'know) To test the cable, plug into AI with 48V on. At the mic end put -ve,black probe in pin 1. Red probe to pins 2 and 3. Should read 48V in each case.

Dave.

Back