no name yet

Uh, correction. I've recorded something using Reaper - it allows you to record while you listen to something else. But I can't send you an mp3 in a PM here, I think. I need an email or something.

A dropbox link is a good way round it. :thumbs up:

Ok dinosaur :).

I would have enabled downloads or sent an MP3 but it sounds like you figured something out.

I'll send you a pm

Thanks

I've figured nothing out. I was just singing to it cuz I really like it. That's how I do with my own stuff usually - get the thing moving and then start singing. I don't have lyrics - just drunken moaning.

Hey, just go with the "I can't think of any lyrics" thang...

Here's a thoughtstarter...

"I got this killer tune but it’s got no name yet
I’m scratchin’ my head but I can’t find a word
I can’t figure out a simple rhyming couplet
If I don’t crack it soon it will remain unheard

I got this killer tune but it’s got no name yet
Nothing is working it’s poetically blank
I need a topic and I’m getting quite upset
I need some gas for my lyrical tank…"

:D

I quite like it the way it is. I really like the Organ.

Be interesting to see where you take this one. :thumbs up:

Damn heat, I'm sorry I've missed this for so long! I usually try to jump right in when I see something from you.

Will check tomorrow. :)

Hey, just go with the "I can't think of any lyrics" thang...

Here's a thoughtstarter...

"I got this killer tune but it’s got no name yet
I’m scratchin’ my head but I can’t find a word
I can’t figure out a simple rhyming couplet
If I don’t crack it soon it will remain unheard

I got this killer tune but it’s got no name yet
Nothing is working it’s poetically blank
I need a topic and I’m getting quite upset
I need some gas for my lyrical tank…"

:D

Ha! I was just trying to do that over the track just now and I could actually make it fit pretty good at times. Thanks for the idea. I'll see what I can do.

I quite like it the way it is. I really like the Organ.

Be interesting to see where you take this one. :thumbs up:

Cool. Thanks Mr. C. I'm glad the keyboards are sounding good. It doesn't seem to matter whether I mic them or record direct, it always sounds ok to me. I'm going through a phase using them a lot now. I just have to learn how to play more than a few notes in a row.

Damn heat, I'm sorry I've missed this for so long! I usually try to jump right in when I see something from you.

Will check tomorrow. :)

That's totally cool. I haven't checked out a lot of peoples' stuff lately myself. I don't know what you're going to think about this one actually?

It's pretty loud - sounds like there's a vinyl scratch going on or something's distorting in the drums.
I think the mastering has taken away the ability to get a nice clean/clear separation / tone of each soloing instrument.
I'm liking the 70's vibe funkadelia and all the instrumentation sounds genuinely from that era. Veeery danceable.

It's pretty loud - sounds like there's a vinyl scratch going on or something's distorting in the drums.
I think the mastering has taken away the ability to get a nice clean/clear separation / tone of each soloing instrument.
I'm liking the 70's vibe funkadelia and all the instrumentation sounds genuinely from that era. Veeery danceable.

Hey ido - thanks for checking it out! I think that's a good critique, but at the risk of sounding like a cop out, it's mostly intentional?

Yeah, there's a vinyl scratch layer in there mixed in with the beat. I'm just a sucker for that '90's rap beat sound, but not for everyone I know.
And yes, I definitely tried to blend sounds together through layering rather than creating a mix that was clean & clear with great separation. I just like that kind of mix sometimes depending on the track. It sounds warmer or more vintage or something to me that way? Eh, maybe just excuses! :) It didn't sound much clearer prior to "mastering" btw, but maybe a little. Thanks again!

Great stuff Pete...really cool vibe. The mix sounded great to me, gritty, a little rough. I liked the whole arrangement but Id be tempted to cut up the beginning vocal sample and just throw it about in places.

Great stuff Pete...really cool vibe. The mix sounded great to me, gritty, a little rough. I liked the whole arrangement but Id be tempted to cut up the beginning vocal sample and just throw it about in places.

Thanks KC.

I thought about doing that with the preacher's voice when I started, but then I said, nah, I better leave room for some vocals, but then there never were vocals.... :(.

I dunno, I may still come up with something. I wrote two verses last night but they were crap. I've lost it. Did I have it? :)

Last edited:
Dude, heat, you have really come a long way over the years. It's actually been a pleasure to hear your stuff just get better and better. I aint just saying that. I mean it. I think this is pretty stellar just as it is. You've managed to layer in a bunch of sounds and textures without it ever getting out of whack. Everything seems balanced to me. The only thing I didn't like is the scratched record effect. I get it, but it seems a little superfluous and it sort of wore on me.

I really enjoyed this, too, but the whole time I was missing the signature sound of your voice, dude. As it is, it's pretty awesome, but .... I just really like listening to your voice over your tunes.

Dude, heat, you have really come a long way over the years. It's actually been a pleasure to hear your stuff just get better and better. I aint just saying that. I mean it. I think this is pretty stellar just as it is. You've managed to layer in a bunch of sounds and textures without it ever getting out of whack. Everything seems balanced to me. The only thing I didn't like is the scratched record effect. I get it, but it seems a little superfluous and it sort of wore on me.

Hey, that is great to hear! Thank you. 8 years ago I came here with warbly, pitchy & muddy cassette recordings begging for help. And look at me now! Uh...warbly, pitchy & muddy digital recordings! :)

I can't exactly say the same of you, as I don't remember a time where it didn't sound like you had your shit together. Maybe if I heard Greg circa 2006 I would be surprised by the difference, but it always kind of sounded to me like you knew what you were doing.

You and whoever else mentioned it are right about the scratch sounds. It's cliche, and while I tend to like cliches, I've gone to the well a few too many times with that one. It's embedded a few layers down in some sub mix here, but I doubt I'll use it again. Thanks for all of your helpful advice over the years...you and many others here. :)

I really enjoyed this, too, but the whole time I was missing the signature sound of your voice, dude. As it is, it's pretty awesome, but .... I just really like listening to your voice over your tunes.

PI! Good to see you here again. Hope all is well.

Yes, I'm sure many miss the dulcet tones of my pitchy baritone voice :p. Doesn't seem to be happening on this one, but I actually have come to enjoy singing in my time here, so I'm sure I'll do a proper song again sometime. Thanks!

I kept checking out the latter pages & waiting for an updated link.
I finally realized I'd have to come back to the beginning.
Really well constructed mate.
PLEASE don't drop a rap onto it.
The vinyl fakery doesn't bother me at present but it might after a few more listens.
My summation: 'tis really cool!

I kept checking out the latter pages & waiting for an updated link.
I finally realized I'd have to come back to the beginning.

Yeah, sorry. I did kind of set up an expectation for additions/edits with the first post. Nothing came about though.

PLEASE don't drop a rap onto it.

Aw man! I should totally bust out some hardcore gangsta shit just to spite you! :)

My summation: 'tis really cool!

Awesome. Thank you.

Back