No-name vs branded

shockingcandy

Leads for all occasions
OK, this question has been bugging me for a while, namely as a very broad generalisation how much better are branded mics compared to those familiar looking no-name types?

For sure, a £40 mic probably isn't going to sound as good as £200 mic, regardless whether it has a name on it or not (then again...). But are the budget branded ones really any better than a similar priced no-name type?

Your thoughts pleased!

There are manufacturers, mostly located in China, who make equipment OEM. That means that it's a single mic that several manufacturers put their name on...it's also true with lighting and projectors. Problem is, there are also a TON of knock-offs, some of which are okay, others of which are definitely not. It's kind of a crap shoot if you don't know *exactly* what you're looking for.

Frank

There are manufacturers, mostly located in China, who make equipment OEM. That means that it's a single mic that several manufacturers put their name on...it's also true with lighting and projectors. Problem is, there are also a TON of knock-offs, some of which are okay, others of which are definitely not. It's kind of a crap shoot if you don't know *exactly* what you're looking for.

Frank

*DING* Right answer! :)

For sure, lots of mics are doubtless made in the same factories (same applies to just about everything these days, from TVs to cars).

I guess the problem is how can you make a comparison before splashing out the cash? I certainly don't pay much attention to the quited frequency responses

The generic Chinese stuff - got it. That's what I thought.

I've tried a couple - one condenser and one ribbon. I was unhappy with both of them and sold them quickly. From where the sun now stands, I will buy Chinese mics no more...forever.

There is one budget mic that I like a lot - the Oktava MC012. You can't go wrong with a pair of those. I have some expensive mics but I will never sell my Oktavas.

For sure, lots of mics are doubtless made in the same factories (same applies to just about everything these days, from TVs to cars).

I guess the problem is how can you make a comparison before splashing out the cash? I certainly don't pay much attention to the quited frequency responses

You can't, really. Hence the "crap shoot" metaphor. May be great...may be crap.

Frank

You can't, really. Hence the "crap shoot" metaphor. May be great...may be crap.

Frank

Good point but I guess that applies to all mics?

OK, so here's a bit of a comparison between the Studiospares S900 and the SE1a, both of which I own.

Looking at the frequency response graphs (lets assume for a moment they give us a true representation) the SE1a has an extended bottom end and is also considerably enhanced at the top end. But is this "better" or just "different"? It could be argued the S900 is actually the more neutral of the two. I've used both as drum overheads (but not in the same room or with the same kit so this is not scientific) and I would say the SE1a is much brighter which fits in with what the graphs say. Again, though, is this "better" or just "different"?

Good point but I guess that applies to all mics?

OK, so here's a bit of a comparison between the Studiospares S900 and the SE1a, both of which I own.

Looking at the frequency response graphs (lets assume for a moment they give us a true representation) the SE1a has an extended bottom end and is also considerably enhanced at the top end. But is this "better" or just "different"? It could be argued the S900 is actually the more neutral of the two. I've used both as drum overheads (but not in the same room or with the same kit so this is not scientific) and I would say the SE1a is much brighter which fits in with what the graphs say. Again, though, is this "better" or just "different"?

Ah...now you're getting into the realm of the subjective. Without getting too postmodern about it, there's no way to make that determination outside a really large focus group or something. *IF* the frequency plots are accurate, then the SE1a might be the right thing to reach for in some cases and the S900 is the right one in others.

I could wax philosophical about it, but I'll stop.

Frank

Ah...now you're getting into the realm of the subjective. Without getting too postmodern about it, there's no way to make that determination outside a really large focus group or something. *IF* the frequency plots are accurate, then the SE1a might be the right thing to reach for in some cases and the S900 is the right one in others.

I could wax philosophical about it, but I'll stop.

Frank

Exactly. In which case, subjectivity aside, what is the X factor that sets a £300 mic apart from a £30 job? (i.e. I am missing something?)

Exactly. In which case, subjectivity aside, what is the X factor that sets a £300 mic apart from a £30 job? (i.e. I am missing something?)

Depth, sheen, focus...it's the difference between a $30 microscope and a $3,000 microscope, honestly. Also, the difference may not be immediately obvious, but it'll become obvious when you stack one track on top of another...those little flaws really add up. Same thing could be said of preamps.

Frank

Back