No Guitar Input?

StarMan

Hi,
Pardon the simplicity of my question, but I have spent the past two days trying to figure why I cannot seem to record using the "9" and "10" guitar ins of Tascam 1800. I have been using the Tascam for a while now, recorded many tracks with mic ins of the Tascam from "1" to "8" with no problem. I've basically been using miked amps so the mic ins of Tascams have been no issue. I want to try using a direct signal now (no miked amps) for some tone color certain tracks, and after checking everything to make sure the input buses are set up correctly (they are) I still cannot seem to get a recording signal. The strange thing, I can hear my guitar slightly coming through the monitor speakers or through my headphones, but there is no input signal (gain) coming through into my DAW? Am totally lost as to what is happening. I have checked all leads, done a few other tests and all working fine, but as for using "9" and "10" still nothing. P.S I have read Jimmy's earlier post of setting up the buses, and have followed through the instructions and still nothing. Hope someone can shed some light on the problem for me. Thanks in advance. Star

Good morning! Here anyway. :)

I am not sure what is going on there my friend.

Post a screenshot of your VST Connections window (inputs) as well as the Inspector opened to the track you are trying to record to.

In VST connections you should be able to see all the Tascam's inputs - are they there? From time to time mine only shows 1 and 2 in and out - closing cubase and turning off the Tsacam and back on usually restores access to all the ins and outs.

Jimmy's request is a good one - although if you can see this screen, it will usually show you the problem too. So in devices make sure the Tascam is up and running and in connections set the input to 9 or 10. I can't think of anything else that would prevent it working. The headphones can hear the computer output or the interface output - so that doesn't help too much.

---------- Update ----------

Host them on an external source - photo bucket or similar. Then post the link here.

Here are 2 screenshots

---------- Update ----------

Hi Rob,
Yes they're all there.
Star

Attachments

• in.jpg
    in.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 96
  • vst.jpg
    vst.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 406
In the Inspector window (far left of your project window) select 'Mono in 7'.

On the thing that kinda looks like this: >]

Right now your screenshot shows 'Mono in'. That seems to be your problem buddy.

You must select the correct input bus for every channel you wish to record to. Say you used 3 mics and a direct input. You would need 4 mono tracks, each of them assigned a different input bus. Each corresponding to the input bus named in VST Connections.

Wow, that worked! May I ask why Mono 7 is the one and not mono 9 (the actual in I am using for the guitar?)
Thank you Jimmy!!

Wow, that worked! May I ask why Mono 7 is the one and not mono 9 (the actual in I am using for the guitar?)
Thank you Jimmy!!

YAY!

It just depends upon how you name them in VST Connections. You can edit what they are called. Name one 'FART' if you want.

Looks like you used a default setup so the first bus is a stereo one, so that took the first two inputs and made the numbering off.

Just delete the stereo bus, and set your mono input buses to the correct inputs of the 1800. Then 'Save As Template'. Open this each time you start a new project.

You can even set up recording tracks with effects and groups or whatever, and save those to a template as well. Then you don't have to waste time setting up stuff. Just be creative! :)

Back