Nickelback production

LongWaveStudio

Ive gotta say,

I really realy really like the production of Nickelback's "How you Remind Me". the drum sound is top notch, the vocals are really in your face. i can hear the drummer clicking beats on the intro though...:-)i hear the words "C.R.O.S.S.T.A.L.K"!!!

but it's a quality track,and quality production. have a close listen to it. nice balance.

except some fucker mastered it so that the meters rarely leave zero so it doesn't breate much on that parts that i would have liked it to.

nice though. sorry for the wierd post, just thought some of you might like to pay a closer listen to the track.

i just don't dig production like that. I can't say anything else would work for nickelback though...

had the unfortunate experience of seeing them live ;)

Cyan,

yay, someone who likes them!

the production just seems better than some of the rockier stuff ive heard. sounds a bit more organised.

oh well, it's another record for Pro Tools,
im convinced that some of it was done on 2" though:-) anyone know about the recording of the track?

Romesh

If you look in the Cave, I was trying for awhile to locate an email address for the fellas that tracked and mixed that album so that I could quiz them a little and get some insight... no luck. I did email Nickelbacks guitar and drum techs, though, but never heard back from them either.
Maybe someone will see this and lead the way.

Its cool that people are noticing that record. At first I tuned it out bec the songwriting is so genre typical but their overall sound is a step ahead of all the derivative shit going on in rock now. The drums sound like theyre right there, reminiscent of the realism of system of a down's drums. I love how up front the shuffling and rolling is on the snare. I definitely hear a fairly obvious doubled and possibly tripled vocal...especially noticable in the part where the music drops out where he says "Ive been wrong, Ive been down, etc" Sounds like API or buzz or neve.

Longwave, Im not surprised the meters dont move. The only flaw in the song is the stereo image which sounds like its not as wide as it could be bec its overcompressed so everythings closer to the center.

i felt the toms could have come up in parts of that song to make the imaging come across better. but to me, the drums sound spot on. sounds like they overdubbed a fatter snare ontop of the picollo snare aswell. not sure though. im only saying this from memory.

thing is, everyone could say "oh, they shoud have done this and that", so im not going to say much, apart from i would have liked to hear the toms louder.

nice track though.

This isn't much, but it is something:

Production Credits for Nickelback's Silver Side Up

Tracking: Greenhouse (Burnaby, British Columbia)
Joey Moi

SSL 4048 E/G
Pro Tools

Mixing: Armoury (Vancouver, British Columbia)
Randy Staub

SSL 4072 G+
Sony 3348, Tascam DA-88

Back