nice rooom reverb mix

zebra

hey ppl,

how are u?

i got this recording here at home in my livingroom...fixed the acoustics here...fairly dry.

recorded everything closemiced, so no room mics. i setup a room mic but it succed.

its a singer/guitarplayer recorded in 1 take. and for the mix we are going the "jonni mitchel bleu album" direction.

vocals in front. guitar bit less,

my question. !!!!

if i mix vocals and guiter dry, with an aux extra with a little room on 10ms tail level to punch up the mix, i still hear a very dry result. too dry.

the mix has to be direct, but not dry....oink.

have u ppl got any suggestions to wetten the mix but not hear the reverb? do i talk sence here? hope u ppl understand it.

still if u listen to jonni mitchel bleu album everthing sounds very straight, and the guitars are a bit wetter in the mix. call it reverbelicous?

all ideas are welcome. greetz Peter zebraaa

Attachments

• DSCN0063.jpg
    DSCN0063.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0064.jpg
    DSCN0064.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 33
Wow. Haven't done any 'Joini in quite a while. 'Court and Spark' is one of my all time favorites and one of the standards to look up to IMHO. :)
Anywho..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOz90JQSZU
Is this one? Sounds very dry (in youtube mono), vocal slightly forward of piano?

Going for some space but don't want it to stick out- One start point is short early reflections tend to set things back' and add spread- That can be stereo miking back just far enough to let some of the room in (maybe as opposed to going for the room mic'.
Or try 'Ambiance or 'Room', 'Studio' style verb patches, experiment with how big' you want to take it. (There is also 'dry/up front' but with 'big(er)' but subtle space set back behind' -this would be less or no early reflections..

You'll likely have to run them up and down in the mix to tweak and hear them to get a handle on what their doing but just keep referencing back to completely 'dry to keep your original perspective in view.
- what ever you choose we'll assume it's going to be very light treatment-

hey ppl,

how are u?
I'd personally be slightly better if your posts didn't look like someone trying to use a cell phone to type a song list from a Prince album ;) :D.
if i mix vocals and guiter dry, with an aux extra with a little room on 10ms tail level to punch up the mix, i still hear a very dry result. too dry.

the mix has to be direct, but not dry....oink.

have u ppl got any suggestions to wetten the mix but not hear the reverb? do i talk sence here? hope u ppl understand it.
There's not a lot of information on just what permutations you tried (hopefully you tried more than just the one you describe), so forgive me if I am covering old and obvious ground here, but... you make no mention regarding your actual wet/dry mix, both on the aux return itself and on the amount of aux return folded into the main mix. Are you returning full 100% wet on the aux return and folding that into the main mix or are you returning just a "damp" reverb and grabbing that directly? Or something else altogether? I'd try returning 100% wet and adjusting the wet/dry balance on the board itself.

Also, what kind of reverb and reverb setting are you using? I agree with mixsit that you might want to use something close to a "warm room" or "ambient" setting, preferably returned and mixed as described above.

Also you might want to experiment a bit with using separate wet/dry mixes on the guitar and vocal, making the guitar a bit wetter than the vocal. Done right, this can help make the vocal more dominant without having to have a large gain difference, and can let the guitar carry the "ambient" feel of the mix without making the vocal sound too wet. The difference usually should not be great; as with everything reverb, you'd be looking more for a subtle "shift" than a readily conscious effect.

EDIT: Hey moderators! Just curious; instead of the phrase "cell phone" I originally typed in the brand name of Obama's favorite PDA instead (you know, starts with a "B", ends in a "y", and has a "lackberr" in the middle ;) ). The BBS software censored it out to asterisks. Like this: **********. Whazupwitdat?

G.

Why don't you set up another aux channel with a hall reverb on, low pass it so its not so bright and add volume to taste. Thats what i'd do, but id also slap a good few mics on to get a stereo field the above posters said!

Back