NGD Gibson Content

Sweet guitar. I've had two Black Beauties. A 1972 I sold years ago and an '81 I sanded the top color off to make a Ronson tribute. That one goes to my son.

Sweet guitar. I've had two Black Beauties. A 1972 I sold years ago and an '81 I sanded the top color off to make a Ronson tribute. That one goes to my son.
It's too new to be "customizing" just yet :). I still haven't even put on straplocks because Gibson USA says it voids the warranty. The Canadian distributor is not sure whatever that means.

Hi Gerald. It is not necessarilly something that would void our 1-year Gibson warranty. However if the straplocks lead to or can be indrectly attributed to a service issue, it would not be covered.
Hoping this helps.
Mike Holman
Yorkville Sound

At 10:18 AM 7/18/2014, you wrote:

If I put Schaller strap locks on my Les Paul Custom does it void the warranty?
----- Forwarded Message -----
To: Gerald
Sent: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 06:21:25 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: RE: Talk 2 Us : Country Canada

Hello Gerald,

If you purchased the instrument from a dealer in Canada, you would need to check with Yorkville Sound. They are the distributor to all dealers in Canada. They set and administer
warranty policy for instruments the distribute to Canadian dealers. If the instrument was purchased from a dealer in the USA, any modification would void the warranty. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON []

service@gibson.com

Last edited:
The nice thing about Customs is they're so solid and heavy that the floor has more to worry about than the guitar itself.

Just don't drop it on it's headstock.

Yeah those headstock breaks are pretty gruesome. I cringe every time I see them. I'm going to put straplocks on (bought them already) I'm just paranoid about the warranty. I'll probably say screw it and just put them on in the next little while.

Yeah those headstock breaks are pretty gruesome. I cringe every time I see them. I'm going to put straplocks on (bought them already) I'm just paranoid about the warranty. I'll probably say screw it and just put them on in the next little while.

Yeah you can always put the original buttons back on if you have to. No one will know. Delete this thread. :D

I dropped mine on my concrete floor a time or two. I thought it survived unscathed, but a while later I noticed a crack through the neck right under the nut. Fortunately I found a repair guy nearby that repaired it so well, it's totally invisible. The drop was totally due to not having straplocks. I bought some that same day!

I say go for it. And yeah, delete the evidence if troubles arise :)

Got my strap locks put on today. Gold ones of course. :) Also changed my strings to 9-42. I really tried to get used to 10's but after three weeks I just give up. They're too stiff and hard to bend and I spend more time trying to get around the stiffness that my playing is suffering and I'm just not enjoying playing it.

I usually don't pay any attention to my guitar while playing (songs I know) I think about the weather, what's for supper etc. With 10's all I think about is how hard I have to push to get the upcoming solos right. No fun at all.

So took it back to the shop for a new setup with 9's and the strap locks.

Plays great, still rocks and feels as familiar as an old baseball glove.

Awesome. Back in the day guys like Beck and Clapton used 8s. I don't know why mega heavy strings became so trendy. I guess I'll blame the SRV wannabes for that one. I like 10s on my LP, but I also tune down a half step pretty often, so it probably feels about the same as 9s.

Back