NGD Dynaudio Monitors w/ Pic of Spectrum Analysis in Studio

Muddy T-Bone

My Dynaudio BM5A MKII just arrived! I am so happy with this purchase, makes my mixing go so much quicker now.

I saw that Pro Audio Star had some re-man units on sale at $335ea so I ordered them. 5 days later, I check on-line to get a tracking number and their website shows the purchase as "processing". I called them, and the service rep told me they were sold out of the re-man units, but if I could hold out 1 or 2 days they had a shipment of A stock coming in and they would ship those instead if I agreed. Duhhhh OK, ship the new ones!

I've attached a picture of a spectrum analyser measurement of the Dyn's. Calibrated mic at seating level and distance, Pink noise source, playing thru my PC and USB interface. SPL at 83dB C weighted. Wow... ruiler flat response from 600 to 10kHz. Then a slow rise from 500hz peaking +4db in the 250 to 125Hz range. This in an untreated room.

I have never measure a pair of speakers that were ruler flat for 4 octaves!

Great price, great product, I could not be happier with my purchase.

Attachments

• dynaudio rta 33.JPG
    dynaudio rta 33.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 20
You should be fine above 500Hz -- Everything above that is only a small fraction of the problematic energy. 90% of the issues with most rooms are in the low end.

It's appears that I'm a part of the 90% rule. That slow rise of 4dB peaking at 250 to 125hz. Right where the "meat" of the my vocals sit.

I was thinking of creating an Eq FX to counter this and place it my mix chain.

What do you think? Should I do that, or just make a mental note that 250 to 125 is 4db hot?

I can all but guarantee it isn't 4dB... Maybe on a 1/3 octave device, but not "for real." I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't have +10/-20dB (at least) peaks and nulls in the low end. And EQ isn't going to do a thing to correct it.

The problem is the room, not the speakers. You can cut and boost all you want and all you can possibly do is remove the offending frequencies (making the speakers *less* accurate doesn't make the space *more* accurate).

Even if you could EQ them to be "flatter" it's only going to work in that specific point in space. Put that mic by your left ear and the response may not even resemble the response at your left ear. You certainly wouldn't recognize it from a foot away. Depending on the size of the space, you could have a 40dB swing in less than a foot in space...

The best and most accurate and consistent speakers in the world will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be.

I can all but guarantee it isn't 4dB... Maybe on a 1/3 octave device, but not "for real." I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't have +10/-20dB (at least) peaks and nulls in the low end. And EQ isn't going to do a thing to correct it.

The problem is the room, not the speakers. You can cut and boost all you want and all you can possibly do is remove the offending frequencies (making the speakers *less* accurate doesn't make the space *more* accurate).

Even if you could EQ them to be "flatter" it's only going to work in that specific point in space. Put that mic by your left ear and the response may not even resemble the response at your left ear. You certainly wouldn't recognize it from a foot away. Depending on the size of the space, you could have a 40dB swing in less than a foot in space...

The best and most accurate and consistent speakers in the world will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be.

I'm not clear why you say there must be +10 and -20dB dips and peaks in the low end when the RTA shows a 5dB variation below 500.

All in all I was very surprised in the freq response curve I got from the monitors in an untreated room. I was expecting much more nastiness.

I did move the speakers further away from the back wall, now at 12" away and that reduced the the 125-250 bump a few dB.

Agreed on EQ is not the solution. The room I'm using now is my office and is temporary, so I won't bother to treat the room. I'll save that for when I move the studio into another part of the house.

What I mean is that your 1/3 octave RTA isn't anywhere near as precise as it needs to be. There is much more nastiness -- a third of an octave isn't precise enough to see it.

Back