Next step?

Wannaplay

Here's what I have: Dell computer with Pent.III, 933MHz, 512 RAM, 120 GB HD, Sonndblaster 64V PCI card, Altec-Lansing powered speakers with subwofer, CD burner, CDplayer, headphones, Shure SM57, Ross Dynamic vocal mic, acoustic and electric stringed instruments, DMP3 pre-amp,Tascam Porta2 4track recorder (mixer use?), and keyboard with analog stereo out.
Here's what I am cosidering getting: Audiophile 2496, Marshall 603S mics (2), Cool Edit Pro (with alittle help from a friend)mic stands and shock mounts (needed?).
Here's what I would like to do: Record original and cover tunes with vocals and multiple instruments (mostly solo) and then burn to CD.

Any comments, suggestions or advice would be helpful. For example, should I go to a Delta 44 or 66 soundcard?, Upgrade to better monitor system?, Consider a different mic setup? etc.

Thanks to everyone who has already helped me to where I am and in advance to those who can steer this newbie right!

im a newbie so dont take my oppinion into too much concideration... but i advise you go with the higher end sound card... i know how u feel with recording music and stuff, i figure you might as well spend a bit more for better quality... it could be that little bit of less static, or that one extra option that would make a major producer look at your demo and say "hey, this ones serious and i should check them out" =)

I think the ultimate answer to your question is a question:

What part of your system do you dislike? Or at least, what part seems to be the weakest link?

When you burn a piece of material and jam it in your car - does it sound as good as your pro CDs - does it sound identical to other people who don't know you made it?

Just fix what you don't like about the system. If you're ultimately pretty happy perhaps you should save the money up so you can upgrade something bigger later on.

If it ain't broke, don't spend money on it!

Thanks guys. Well I'm still in the "what do I get to get started" stage for homerecording without breaking the bank. Ergo the plea for advice on cards, mics, monitors and anything else I may be leaving out that I may need.

Back