NewOne - Heavy Metal like in former times...

DBA

Hey guys,

first of all...
I just came to this board by searching blogs on google.
I'm from Würzburg, Germany, so please don't think too much about strange phrases or incorrect words...;-)

This is a song recorded about one year ago by my band and me.
We had some problems with the snare because I realized much too late that the mic (top) wasn't in the right position.
So we had to release the album with miserable drum sound...

Now I'm sitting over a remix of one song for which we wanna produce a little video.
Here it is:

Would be really cool if you could give a little Feedback on the whole sound...!

Thanks so far,
Daniel

Intro is a little long and slightly messy.. I hear a bunch of crackle in there.. from the amp maybe or something else..? Once the drums come in it sounds better.. nice full sound on the mix.. Not my favorite drum tone in the world, I think if you have the snare on its own track something could have been done to compensate with EQ'ing..

The vocals kind of strike me as a little cheesy :P Old school metal for sure..

Overall above average.

Welcome to the boards! Hope you stick around.

Pretty cool dba! Where'd you record this? Still got the band together?

Couple things stood out to me. The chorus on the intro is too much. The rate needs to be slowed and possibly a depth change too. It's got a warbly / tremelo sound on notes that hang much.

Nice guitar tone when it kicks in.

Need a couple more vocal tracks layered in on the shouting "hey"
type singing. Couple other places could use it too.

Ya the drums could use some help ;) Snare is pretty dark, have heard worse though :) Kick is low in the mix. Heard some nice tom sounds in there on a roll :D

Like Mistral said, An above average recording.

Welcome to the board!

F.S.

Thank you for listening!

Well, I forgot to tell you but the Intro is not the thing I'm caring about at the moment. I just have taken all the tracks, put it together and blown some FX with factory presets on them...
That will be the last part of remixing the song.

I worked another time on the EQs of the snare und changed a little of the relation between top and bottom mic. Imho it sounds much better...

If I started to matter about the vocals it would probably be a endless story;-)
Anyways, just a few Germans will understand what I'm singing. Most important: HEY...;-)

There are more vocal tracks in it! I just turned them down. In this mix they are a little louder.

Would be pretty cool if you could listen again and tell me your opinion!
Further users welcome as well...;-)
Same link as above.

Daniel

Freudian Slip said:
Pretty cool dba! Where'd you record this? Still got the band together?

Sorry, I forgot about that:

The band is still alive: www.attax-band.de
(Just a German site!)

We recorded under bad condition in our rehearsal room. Much too little for drum recording, so we hung up the hole room to get out the bad sound of it.
I had to try to get the dead sound out by using reverbs and eq...

Yeah pretty darn good recording.
My thoughts pretty much what's already been mentioned.

I'll add that the snare has an overdriven quality to it that I think makes it kind of un-dynamic sounding. I feel like I'm missing some of it's natural resonance. Like it's covered by either distortion, or too much dampening or something.
Also I'm not a big fan of the the delay on the vocals on the verses. Especially when the vocals first come in. Also with the vocals some of the doubling could be tighter harmony, I hear too much beat frequency wavering. But I'm sure at this point it's crying over spilled milk.
Also, I'd scoop the toms a little bit they sound kind of honkey.

Overall it's quite acceptable. I like the guitar tone most.

I'll do some more little changes on it tonight (well for you all: lunch time ;-) )

Would be cool to get more different views of the mix...!

Daniel

The relationship of the bass guitar and kick drum is off. The kick is too clicky on the top end. The bass guitar level needs to be raised to match the kick. That will give you a punchier sound. The rhythm guitars are just a little too loud which seems to smother the drums a bit and makes them sound less powerful.

Back