Newest mix! Comments appreciated (ruthless comments commended!)

Not too bad. Does feel squished. The drums stand out as having a lack of mids and hi's. Ya know. More 4k for click on the kick, Toms need to lose some bottom and look for some tone/ring in them around 800 to 1000hz
snare is the toughest one. I like ring/tone in my snare, the amount varies by style of music but at least a little bit. The snare has got to be set up right though. So not sure what to tell you.

I think the tone in the drums would bring them to life.

The parts are very well sewn together arangement wise but, I think you need to seperat the instruments out some. You can try stuff like cutting at 2.5khz on one guitar and adding a bit of 2.5k on the other guitar. Maybe pull 5k or so down some on the guitars to see if any room is made for the vox, etc.
perhaps a high shelf pulled down a bit on each guitar might work without taking away from the body of the guitar.

Good luck on it.

F.S.

i think it sounds awesome. the band is sweet. recording great. i dont really like the toms though. love the guitar sound. what band is it?

wow this reminds me of how much i hate recording emo but i have to say you did a damn good job man, i feel like when the music stops and the guitar is chugging for a second that the chuggs should be louder throughout that part,

wow the guitar vocal effects on the screaming mid song is very nice

all the parts where the guys is just singing sound absolutley amazing, as well as the screaming parts too, well this is just a pretty good track overall so far

also in the second time the song kind of stops i feel like those high hats should be louder, they are there but just so distant and i feel like a slight volume increase would sound great

but overall great job man, definitely a very strong mix

steve.h;2748974*Edit: I'm not sure why people don't really want to comment on this: it's kind of disheartening :/ [/QUOTE said:
Its because the guy screaming ruins this. You posted this before, correct? I remember it.

The mix stuff is fine. The song is fine. The whole thing is fine, and then there is that ridiculous guy screaming. It's beyond stupid. This maybe the "in" thing right now, I have no clue. However, in ten years people will look back at this and be laughing their asses off at how ridiculous it is.

Try to step back from this, take some time away, and begin to approach it for what it is. It is not music, art, a clever satire, a political statement. Its not about rebellion, anti-establishment, etc. It is a guy incoherently screaming into a mic. No diction, no rhythm, no anything. You could get a homeless bum off the street and he could do the same thing, really.

Its because the guy screaming ruins this. You posted this before, correct? I remember it.

The mix stuff is fine. The song is fine. The whole thing is fine, and then there is that ridiculous guy screaming. It's beyond stupid. This maybe the "in" thing right now, I have no clue. However, in ten years people will look back at this and be laughing their asses off at how ridiculous it is.

Try to step back from this, take some time away, and begin to approach it for what it is. It is not music, art, a clever satire, a political statement. Its not about rebellion, anti-establishment, etc. It is a guy incoherently screaming into a mic. No diction, no rhythm, no anything. You could get a homeless bum off the street and he could do the same thing, really.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but screaming's been around for at least twenty years, and will continue to stick around for quite some time. This is nowhere near my favorite type of music (and this isn't the same song, no: same band though), but I wouldn't be alone if it were. I lived for a long time deciding to have a hostile attitude towards people that liked music I thought sucked, but the longer I've been in the music/engineering business, the more I understand that just because I don't enjoy something myself, doesn't mean it's bad. Were I a person that didn't like guitars, I could use a similar description of playing guitar: "It's just a stupid fucking stick with strings that you bash on and mush with your other hand. A fucking baby could figure that shit out".

You can decide to go through life pissed off at everything you don't understand, or you can decide that different people think differently, have different passions, and relate to different types of music. I don't expect a 40-year-old suburban white guy to love gangster rap, and I wouldn't expect a 17-year-old angsty teen-ager to love smooth jazz. Different people relate to different music: it doesn't make it better or worse. Get off your high horse (or highchair) and open your mind a bit.

It sounds a little bit like them, much better than their older stuff.
I browse around, don't post much. I'm just getting into recording, I'm starting a school here in MD next month.
I like your work and I follow your posts.

Can you say Stalker...........:eek:

Watch out Steve;)

F.S.

Review from a friend of mine who actually likes this style of music

Hey man, I really like the song. It reminds me of a mix between, Further seems for ever, meets (on the screaming parts) Hatebreed. Very good shit. Obviously Hatebreed is way heavier, but the screaming is similar. It does really remind me of Further Seems Forever. What's the name of this band? Do you have a my space?

Sounds real good on my headphones :)

I am not a fan of the screaming either, but the recording sounds great ~

Their CD's coming out soon: as soon as it's out, I can post their name!

On a completely un-related note, this is a pretty old thread but thanks for the nice comments anyway :)

Since this is up again I might throw a comment too.

Yes, the bottom end has been cleaned perhaps a tad too meticulously. This has helped with achieving some volume though.
The screamo vox buryes some nice guitarwork, which does remain somehow audible though... nice.
The drums are good, well balanced with kick, snare, toms, I have no beef with overheads either. Some weirdo eq-peak to snare might bring it up a tad.

The bass is barely audible. I'd be pissed if I was the bassist.
Guitars, middley-ish, suite the sound and genre.

I'd go as far to say the vox, lead vox and backing, could be taken down some, and give more room for the music.
But then again, this genre loves the vox. ...I'm no use here...:o:D

i acctually hate this type of music but.....i will try and be constructive.

seems to me that the whole point of this style of music is a contrast between dude from the pit vs melodic american rock ...

but the contrast here is not striking enough.

the whole mix sounds like im listening thro some transistor radio..

way too compressed ....bring some dynamic into this ...some low transients on the demonic screaming ...

it needs some low sabbath esq guitar grunge

..at the moment ist seems like the choirboy is doing his best to sound mean in the mean bits...but he aint pulling it off.....

...almost laughable ....but maybe im just and old hack and i just dont get it...

listen to some sisters of mercy ...some killing joke some cure and the foo fighters ...these guys seem to inspire true agro with that holding back to instill contrast.

this aint it.

Back