newbiw - protools hardware advice

aidan_m

Budding Rock Star!
Hi People,

I need your advice please.. My band have recently split so to keep on the songwriting track etc. going setting up a home studio on an Apple macbook pro. Planning on running protools so hardware needs to be M-Audio or Dididesign. i will want the option of recording 8 simulataneous tracks so think I will need either an M-Audio FireWire1814 or a Digi002

Are there any other options for Protools and at least 8 inputs? The digi002 comes in about €450 more expensive..

Which have better preamps?

What's the difference between protools LE and M-Powered other that the hardware?

What would you do (on a limited budget)?

I don't think there's much differences between LE & M-Powered.... There's differences between TDM/HD & those 2, but you should be fine using the 1814. I usually transfer sessions between M-Powered, LE & TDM (home to studio). Both pre's are above average, though not the 'best'. I would suggest getting a different preamp either way. Neve makes a nice preamp ;) I personally like the m-audio's pre's vs the 002 pre's. seems like your paying for everything else other than the pre's on the 002.

bennychico11 said:
http://protoolsforum.com/ProToolsLE1.html
M-Powered also does not offer support for the DV toolkit, the Command 8 or Control 24 surfaces or the Digitranslator add-on. These options are only available in LE or HD units.

Could you elaborate on what I'd be losing out on with M-Powered?
Feel free to dumb in right down.. Tried finding the info on protools forums but can't.

So basically with m-powered I can't upgrade to add hardare like Command 8 or Control 24? And the digitranslator is for exporting from PT LE for use on PT HD?? So from m-powered I can't export for use with PT HD?

aidan_m said:
Tried finding the info on protools forums but can't.

yeah, the forum seems to be down right now. Check back later, hopefully Brett will get it up and going.

So basically with m-powered I can't upgrade to add hardare like Command 8 or Control 24?

correct

And the digitranslator is for exporting from PT LE for use on PT HD?? So from m-powered I can't export for use with PT HD?

no, Digitranslator is for importing/exporting OMF files. OMFs allow the easy transportation between other multitrack programs like Nuendo/Cubase into PT...and vice versa. If you want to do that you'll just have to import/export whole audio files instead.
And the DV Toolkit just offers extra options used mainly for people who work with film/video.

Back