m.mccrohan

Hey y'all!

I'm new here, my name is Megan. I'm currently studying for my Associates of Science in Music Production at LA Film School. I'm mostly focused on Hip Hop/R&B music but definitely open to genre blending and bending since I listen to a wide range of music in my daily life. If anyone has any tips of tricks they would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Was there an assignment from LA Film School that guided you all to this site? There’s so many newbies from LA Film School recently.

Essentially we had to join a forum that was industry specific to learn how to network and such. It's a Digital Literacy class

Its good to see folks checking in, although it seems like 7 out of 10 login one time, make a post and never seem to return. There's so much good information on here that those 70% really are missing out.

Great to see you coming back, and I would be interested in hearing things from the other side of the fence. Do the things they are teaching you mirror the things you read here? Sometimes there's a disconnect between the academic world and the real world. The trick seems to be taking the foundation you learn in school and adapting it to the business environment.

Anyway, welcome to HR.

I think that it's just people aren't used to the platform really and it seems dated in ways. I guess I think people don't really use forums as much now because of Facebook and other social media outlets. also kind of feel like people are less likely to visit a website and more likely to use an app these days.

I think that most of what they're teaching us is reflective but I do think that it's always good to have input from elsewhere and this definitely does seem like a great tool and place to be so I'm excited to grow and post in here and share with you guys 😁

Yeah.....I'm sure that Facebook and YouTube and a whole host of other media outlets draw attention away from sites like this one. What I would say though is to spend some time here before you decide about whether it's worth it or not. Sometimes the mass input and wide ranging opinions found all over the web don't allow for someone to pull all the info together to decide about it's accuracy or worth. IMO you can trust most of the feedback and info here. And over time you get to know everyone here and see that for yourself......and it becomes like a small trusted group that will help to keep you from wasting a lot of time or going off in a unhelpful direction. And......those like you....help us to learn as well.

May your journey be fun and fulfilling !!

Mick

I appreciate your perspective. Generally, it seems FB is great for short little comments, a picture, and lots of non-informational things like birthday greetings. What I don't see on FB is any extensive informational content. I find their newsfeeds to be lacking. The few groups I'm on are good for maybe 5 minutes before moving on. Trying to read a multipage discussion on the merits of a particular recording technique on a cell phone would be torture to me.

Youtube is a totally different beast. There's LOTS of good information, tutorials, reviews, and comparisons there. Thankfully, forums like this are a good way to point to those videos. I wonder sometimes, how long that platform will survive. There's so much content that just maintaining the hardware and storage is a massive undertaking, not to mention keeping it from degrading into a cesspool (civility sometimes seems to be a forgotten word!).

Only time will tell where all this social media goes. 25 years ago AOL was one of the biggest companies around. Myspace was the next great thing. 35 years ago, I was running a BBS system on dial up with a speedy 56,000bps modem! I wonder what we'll be discussing in 2030!

Only time will tell where all this social media goes. 25 years ago ...
You know, I think that this all could be something bigger. Because of Homerecording.com I joined up with Soundcloud, so yall could listen. Then because I had to show people things, I joined youtube. It all works together for an experience. They all should cooperate and work together as companion pieces for each other. Offering deals and product advertising relative to the topics of discussion.

The forum is the purest form of social media. We built this shrine with the help of father time.
tumblr_inline_p4q07yJQzi1rklbsy_1280.jpg

Be excellent to each other.

Hi Megan, do you know of any open source software for organizing b-roll video clips, maybe a FOSS database? Hopefully also available on Linux/Ubuntu 8-)

I appreciate your perspective. Generally, it seems FB is great for short little comments, a picture, and lots of non-informational things like birthday greetings. What I don't see on FB is any extensive informational content. I find their newsfeeds to be lacking. The few groups I'm on are good for maybe 5 minutes before moving on. Trying to read a multipage discussion on the merits of a particular recording technique on a cell phone would be torture to me.

Youtube is a totally different beast. There's LOTS of good information, tutorials, reviews, and comparisons there. Thankfully, forums like this are a good way to point to those videos. I wonder sometimes, how long that platform will survive. There's so much content that just maintaining the hardware and storage is a massive undertaking, not to mention keeping it from degrading into a cesspool (civility sometimes seems to be a forgotten word!).

Only time will tell where all this social media goes. 25 years ago AOL was one of the biggest companies around. Myspace was the next great thing. 35 years ago, I was running a BBS system on dial up with a speedy 56,000bps modem! I wonder what we'll be discussing in 2030!
I second those words. I do not use any form of social media but from what I read and see it is a bit of a mess and to have 16 gazzillion different opinions about something is not helpful?

I have been infesting audio forums for around ten years and seen them come and go. Many are still pretty violent places and I have now cut down to just three. HR, thefretboard.co.uk (ALL about guitar and amps mostly) and soundonsound.com. As has been said, on these forums you have a fairly static group of guys (almost all guys, very few ladies, dunno why, most of us mind our Ps and Q's!) Most of the folks have been 'at it' for a very long time and a few are very successful audio professionals.

I am but an aged, retired valve amp tech but with a lifelong interest in audio. My son, now 49, is a very talented guitarist (and keys, bit of clarinet) and also has a modest recording setup in his flat in France.

I would aver you will get far better advice from those three forums than all the Facey Twits in the world!

Dave.

Dave.....I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it this way.....but users of Facebook are not all or mostly "twits". I keep in touch with lots of family and friends on FB. We're certainly not twits....at least we don't think we are :) I'm guessing you meant that some of the advice you might get on FB can be questionable. Oh yes.....absolutely. And....to that extent......although likely more rare....even some advice here on HR can be questionable.......as you yourself have pointed out a number of times.

Mick

Dave.....I'm pretty sure you didn't mean it this way.....but users of Facebook are not all or mostly "twits". I keep in touch with lots of family and friends on FB. We're certainly not twits....at least we don't think we are :) I'm guessing you meant that some of the advice you might get on FB can be questionable. Oh yes.....absolutely. And....to that extent......although likely more rare....even some advice here on HR can be questionable.......as you yourself have pointed out a number of times.

Mick
Yes of course Mick, I do not mean to insult the majority of people that use such media for very sensible and valid purposes and, since I don't ever go there it was rather out of order for me to denigrate it in such a way. However, forums are bad enough! But at least they are to a greater or lesser extent moderated. I would not get away with being abusive to you on this forum. Then, although all are free to air their opinion there is a hard core of experts here (and SoS and other good places) that can step in and put things right. This is especially important where we are dealing often with electrical matters and safety is at issue.

So, no offence intended to 'sane' users of Facebook and Twitter just that it seems to me the sane ones sometimes get drowned out? The current B&^%$£s about the Covid vaccines being a case in point.

Dave.

Dave...I completely agree. Good point. Some forums are moderated fairly and more importantly....intelligently. This one is a perfect example IMO.

Mick

Back