Newbie to the pre/power amp question?

mayonaise33

Ok so I know quite a bit about most things, but I still dont fully get the Pre amp, ans power amp question.. correct me if i am wrong.

So you get a Marshall JMP-1 for all you settings and overdrives and stuff

then you need to hook it to a power amp to run the sounds out

and then you need a speaker cabinet to actually head the sounds..

Is this correct, sorry if this is a lame question but i would like to know..
becasue the JMP-1 looks like a great option for all around sounds....plus i like the idea of a rack for other effects, it seems more versitle than a combo amp

thanks......

mayonaise33 said:
Ok so I know quite a bit about most things, but I still dont fully get the Pre amp, ans power amp question.. correct me if i am wrong.

So you get a Marshall JMP-1 for all you settings and overdrives and stuff

then you need to hook it to a power amp to run the sounds out

and then you need a speaker cabinet to actually head the sounds..

Is this correct, sorry if this is a lame question but i would like to know..
becasue the JMP-1 looks like a great option for all around sounds....plus i like the idea of a rack for other effects, it seems more versitle than a combo amp

thanks......

JMP-1 is a great piece of gear!!!

Correct. In the case of a guitar rig, the preamp takes the guitar signal amplifies it and shapes it (distortion, tone, etc...) and outputs a signal that the power amp can use. The power amp takes the signal from the preamp and amplifies it to the point where it can drive the speakers. The speakers actually push the air so we can hear it.

when i was first starting to tour with a band a few years ago, i had very little money, and spent my very little money on a bad marshall avt150H head...it broke two days into tour...

luckily the band we were out with was good enough to let me use one of their rigs every night, which was easy because we were direct support.

he had a marshall jmp-1 and a mesa boogie 50/50 and it sounded like gold

i went hom enad returned my avt150h and got my money back (mad enough that it lasted two days, one of the big metal staples on the box ripped my hand open on the way back in the store)

i sat down and i played a jmp-1 through a marshall power amp and it just didnt have the same great tone....tried it with a 50/50...sounded perfect

i found a guy selling both pieces on ebay, explained my situation, and he sold them both for 800 total...the great steal of my lifetime...ive been using it for years now, with matched vintage groove tubes a guy sells out of his garage here on long island

at that point they were running about 700-800 new each....recently ive thought of replacing them with newer units (years of tour and they were old to begin with) and ive seen that the price of the jmp-1 has doubled!@!@ 0_o wowow.

great piece of gear though.

does any one have any other suggestions for a good power amp to go along with the jmp-1? I was looking at the mesa simul2:class 90 but its like 1000$, however this is the setup James Iha from the Pumpkins uses, so it must be good.

But are there any cheaper options, becasue I will also have to get a speaker cab as well, and dont really have 3000$ grand to blow for the whole setup, becasue I will also probably get a compressor and an EQ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-Sim...ryZ43374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JMP1-J...ryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

in my opinion (i've spent the last 4 years on the road with tons of bands, dashboard confessional, the get up kids, story of the year blah blah blah)

you'll never come to a point in your life when you are going to need 180 watts

the 2:50 is more than enough...especially if you run it in stereo (each output of the 2:50 into each of the inputs on the back of marshall) pushing 50 watts through each pair of speakers

you'll play shows with this, and MAYBE if you are lucky, turn it up to 3 or 4...maybe...

by the time you start getting in a room where'd you wanna turn it up more...they're micing everything, and sending you back down to that lvl anyway

hope this helps

orksnork said:
in my opinion (i've spent the last 4 years on the road with tons of bands, dashboard confessional, the get up kids, story of the year blah blah blah)

you'll never come to a point in your life when you are going to need 180 watts

the 2:50 is more than enough...especially if you run it in stereo (each output of the 2:50 into each of the inputs on the back of marshall) pushing 50 watts through each pair of speakers

you'll play shows with this, and MAYBE if you are lucky, turn it up to 3 or 4...maybe...

by the time you start getting in a room where'd you wanna turn it up more...they're micing everything, and sending you back down to that lvl anyway

hope this helps

I have a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 500, 200w/200w stereo amp. 12 6L6's in this sonbitch! Paired up with a JMP-1. Yea its loud, and sounds awesome. :eek: :D

Back