Newbie to HR first mix i feel comfortable with recieving feedback on.

Kaiju

Vocals Recorded With Duet 2 for the clock and converter. Through a BLA B173, Don't quote me on the spelling lol. Rode NT1A. Mixed in box no external eq or comp. It sounds hyped. Any ind of feedbacl would be awesome.

Audix D6 kick, 57 Snare, SeX1, NT1A OH, Audix D4 for left tom, D5 right tom drums.

Nt1A and 57 for acoustic

Di Lead guitar (Waves Gtr, Logic PedalBoard)

Di Bass (duet2)

BIG change when the drums comes in. Its like the overall volume went down 5db. There should be energy there and it did just the opposite. I would mix the chorus FIRST at the loudest in can possibly be without clipping, taking off any bus compressors and limiters. Once you have that then you can mix the rest of the song without touching the chorus volume.

So what technique did you use to record the acoustics and what effects are on them? It is a slightly awkward stereo effect that sounds like it actually may be off phase. If there are effects on it, take them off or atleast reduce them drastically.

Also, I hear a lot of background noise and even the click track in there. Sounds like your just getting started on it, and it has a lot of potential...just need to get a grip on not over doing effects and processors.

=] Thanks Bruthish! Easy mistake. I usually mix the chorus. And make adjustments after. Amateur of me. The acoustics were recorded wanting a wide stereo image. Sm57 at the fretboard pointing at the 12th fret. And Nt1a pointed in the same direction but on the other side. I dont have much going on effect wise on the Acoustics. I have the Logics Space Designer and a Waves R-Verb. Space designer baking real low for the width and coloration. And an rverb on the right channel for a different feel. I really dont know where to go from here.

I like the song. I think the singer is good and the voice recorded OK, but there were some pitch issues in the performance. the cymbals are klangy sounding...it's hard to capture cymbals without the klanginess. experimentation with mic placement is the only way to get the cymbals sounding right. I think it's a great effort. sounds a lot better than the 1st mix I put up here.
good job

Thanks for sharing this, it takes a lot of guts when you're first getting started. Vocals sound nice, and the reverb you chose suits the song and genre.

Besides the obvious chorus volume vs rest of song issue), here are some problems:

-Acoustic guitar is way too bright. Sounds like there's a high pass filter up to 200hz or so. If that's how it was recorded straight from the mic, then re-record and get some of that low end in. If you killed the low end with EQ, bring it back. Lowest fundamental frequency on guitar is around 80hz. Don't HPF higher than that if the acoustic is the primary instrument in the song.

-Acoustic guitar has a weird stereo phasing thing: it floats from L to R channels here and there. Either correct the phase or, better yet, stick to 1 mic on a single source while learning. Be great at getting a good sound from 1 mic before trying to use 2.

-Toms are mixed too high in proportion to the rest of the drums

-Kick drum is buried or indistinct. Either bring the fader up, or use EQ/compression to bring out the low woof (70-80hz) and beater (2khz), and kill some of the boxy mids.

-Bass is equally buried. Bring that bad boy up.

Keep at it man!

There's some potential here, but you've definitely got a ways to go on this.

The big thing that I noticed was that the noise floor is really high on the acoustic. You'll probably have to retrack to address it:
1. Remove ambient sounds from the room you're tracking in. (I heard the click that bruthish mentioned too)
2. Try some different mic positions to see if you can get the appropriate volume out of the instrument without turning your interface gain up as much.
3. Turn the overall volume of the acoustic down.

The other big thing is that the kick and snare don't really cut through the mix very well, which diminishes the overall "energy" of the song.

@Shwarz The compression actually is not super heavy. Im using two might be the issue. @vomithat I will re-track. And take your advice. Mic positioning and such. Thanks guys for the help. @Brian This is exactly the type of feedback I hoped for. You've got an ear. Both acoustics were chopped that far. Than you for the advice. Bass was fixed and brought up as well. Ill post the revised version once its remixed thanks so much for the feedback. Ill be posting more. I love heavy critiques. Ill take all the criticism I can get. Thanks gents

You know every one listens with a different set of ears and a different feel for what sounds good to them .Good points made by everyone about the product. Still learning.......fiddle with it again and again and find what sounds good to you... I thought it wasn,t bad except for that annoying hissing. could be a bad cable.

Back