Newbie recording....suggestions welcome

Hi...
Any criticism I may have is uneducated at best so whatever I say take with a grain of salt.

I felt like the bass drum on both songs was way too much in my face. This is just my personal opinion and may well be just my puter speakers making me feel that way. Other than that I thought the rythym guitars sounded good but not quite "there" enough. A little thin...

Cool songs though...really like the git riff in the first one.

Like I said all this is just opinion so if it's easier just ignore me. That's what my wife does...hehe.

Thanks alot man! Yeah the bass is pretty thuddy. Guess I shoulda toned down on the compression a tad.

Thanks for the feedback dude.

I listened to track 1

The drums need work. Different mic or mic arangement. It's off beat in some places too.

I'd touch up the guitar with some verb too. It sounds like a basement.

Vocals would always be nice, but have intstrumentals too. Good work. Keep mixin'.

A

Thanks shitloads catfish! What was wrong about the drum sound? I only have 2 overheads and one kick drum mic. I've been trying to figure out the best setup with these mic's. The toms suck...plain and simple. They just dont come thru.

Just for future reference; people will be more inclined to listen and make comments when you post a song that you are actually serious about, rather than one prefaced by comments such as "yeah i screwed up on the performance, it was all one take, i just did it real quick to check out my mixer." etc. A lot of songs pass through here, it's hard to catch them all :)

But anyways, i listened to "audiotrack 1" :D I agree with the above posters in that the drums are main problem with this mix. My comments:

1) The kick drum sounds horrible. Sorry, I can't think of any other way to put it :)

2) The kick drum is off beat a large part of the time.

3) The kick drum is too busy. Less is more. Especially on drums, in a homerecording situation. I'd cut down on the double-kicking a lot, it really detracts from the sound (especially when it starts going off time :) )

Anywho. I know it's just a quick mix, but you asked for it :D Post what mics you're using on the drums, and how you have them setup. Maybe someone can offer a better solution.

travis

Thanks for the feedback Travis! I'll rework the song...there are definately some drum parts that are just a little too much for me to handle. Thanks again!

Back