Newbie Questions

drummerdoug86

Alright, pretty soon I am going to make the leep into computer recording. I think i know which card to get but I'm not sure. I'm thinking of getting the Delta 410 with its 4 ins and 10 outs. My setup will most likely look something like this. I will use the drums for my example:

Overhead Mic 1 ---- Analog Mixer ----- In #1
Overhead Mic 2 ---- Analog Mixer ----- In #2
Kick Mic ---- Analog Mixer ----- In #3
Snare Mic ---- Analog Mixer ----- In #4

I will plug my 4 drum mics into my mixer's XLR inputs and then using the direct outs on the four channels I'm using, run a cable from there to the soundcards inputs. So am I getting it at all? Is that how it would work? The only problem I have with the Delta 410 is that the picture looks like the ins and outs are RCA's. Is this true? My direct outs on my mixer are 1/4" so then would I need a 1/4" to RCA jack to run from my mixer to my soundcard right? Please tell me if I am making sense or if I don't know what I'm doing.

Yes, all mics to mixer then to analog ins on the card.
This card is 2 analog in and sp/dif ins & outs.
Yes, all RCA connects. Get the appropriate cable.

Check it

IF you want to track live drums, your best bet would be to get the delta 44 or 66, especially if you are going to do direct monitoring. If you want to monitor the signal after it's passed through the computer (and you have no intention of using any serious outboard processors at this point), then you will be fine with 4-6 outs on the breakout box. There's alot of extra junk that people toss into the picture with this recording stuff. The Delta is affordable and uses a 15 pin PCI connection (faster, larger bandwidth and capable of more monitoring than USB, so stay away from USB). Also, on the 410, there are RCA inputs, all you are going to do is lose signal if the outs from your board are 1/4", it's just unnecessary. Does your board have channel inserts (direct outs on each channel)? IF this is true, then all you need to do is run the channel inserts directly into the "ins" of any breakout box. Nice and Simple. The Delta retails for around $230.00 and the 66 goes for $300. REMEMBER: if your mixer has pre-amps on all the channels you need them for, there is no need to get pre-amps on card. Hope this clears some stuff up!

Thanks

Yes, my board does have pre-amps and direct outs on 8 channels. So yeah, I'll take your advice and go with the Delta 44. Also, when I hook into the mixer, should i not set the levels on there and then just tweak them with my software after I record, or set the mixer levels and then fine-tune them after I record?

check it

You want to run your mixer at a level that will not evoke any sort of sound quality problems...Remember you can are working with a semi-sticky situation. It's easy to forget that you have mixing capabilities on (1) your software (2) the Delta 44 card (3) the mixer itself. Always keep in mind that the software is the "final desination" for the sound being recorded. I like to keep the record levels on the sound card at slightly less than half way. This means that I can compensate for the signal later without making huge level increases or decreases. Once the sound is recorded, let's say there is some clipping, there is no way to get that sound to a moderate level below the "SMPT" level and have it sound quality. Does that make sense? It would be a good idea to keep the EQ flat on the mixer because you have the option of mixing and re-mixing and re-mixing on the software you use. Keep the EQ flat (unless you have full confidence in your capabilities to mix signals well). SO, in response to your original question, it would be a good idea to keep the levels at about "halfway up the fader slide". This will produce a sound that is easier to work with in the future for mixing on the software. Peace.

Back