Newbie Question

Toker41

Better Than You
K...been recording for awhile, and know a little about midi (very little) from using my V-session drums, but I am not a keyboard player, so I hope I don't come off too stupid here...

I own a cheezy Casio keyboard, and a Casio digital Piano. The up side is that they are both midi capable. I could be wrong, but I'm sure there is a way to record a midi track, and then trigger sounds from software on the PC, and record the triggered audio in my recording software. I know the easier way would be to just buy a rack of sound banks, but I'd rather skip that route for now.
Anyone care to walk me through it? What software do I need (on a budget)? Do all keys send on the same channel? What channel would that be?

Pentium IV 2.4 hyperthread Processor
Windows 2000 (upgrading to XP in 2 weeks)
N-track
1 gig Ram (yeah, I know I need to upgrade:o)
Delta 1010

well you're not a newb so i'll let ya sort through the feature sets and costs on your own... i'm a cubase guy myself... ntracks doesnt do midi at all??? there are 16 channels to the midi spec... they can be recorded simultaneously or single channels... not to bad rap your casios but you'll likely find that you'll get better sounds nowadays with the softsynths triggered from the piano... and i say the piano cause it's more likely to support the entire midi spec... alotta their lower end synths dont send after touch for instance...

Yes, N-track does midi just fine. I simply don't know how to make a recorded midi track trigger sounds in software, and record those sounds to a track.

I'm a cubase guy myslef, so I hope this translates to N-track. Create a new midi track. Assign the input to your casio, which is probably a midi port on your Delta. Assign the output to a VST synth. Record your midi data. You won't be recording the sounds from the casio, just the keys being played. The VST synth will generate the sounds for you.

So, you need to go midi out on the casio to midi in on the Delta. Then you need a VST synth. There are free ones on the internet. You might find a free downlaod from EMU, I think it's called Proteus VX. All ya gotta do is sign up for a newsletter or something. But many others are available too.

Hey Toker, I put up a note for you in New Rep thread. gotta check it out.

peace.

Worked like a champ! Thanks.

Now, although there are some decent sounds in the freebie proggie, where do I start looking for a really good piano sound? I would imagine there is where is starts to cost money?

Good piano sounds?? Couldn't tell ya. But I agree, you could spend a lot of money of softsynths. Hopefully, someone else can step in with some good suggestions.

peace.

i've got the garriran steinway here... Ivory and akoustik are also excellent...
the better one will run @$400...

Back