Newbie question re: Panning during recording

BobOC

Hi...

A friend of mine uses Sonar 3.0 and he'd like to know how he can control the panning in the headphone mix during recording. Right now, everything is hard right and hard left.

Thanks...BobOC

"your friend" eh... haha just kidding.

just to be sraight, you want to controll the panning when you have laid down some tracks but use those to lay down some more? I don't see why you couldn't just change the panning on the track (like normal) to set up your headphones the way you want. Then, when you are ready to mix, adjust the panning to the way you want.

This is more a function of the sound card than of Sonar. Usually, you monitor the input of the sound card directly while you are recording. You can also monitor from within Sonar, but that would introduce latency.

If you cannot control the panning of the sound card's input, it will always be hard panned left or right for mono sources such as vocals. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem, I just sent the output of the soundcard into 2 ins of a console and center the pan button. Another thing much more simpler is to connect your earphones to a mono adapter.

Lapieuvre

Thanks to all for the responses. And, yes, it really IS a question for a friend...I use an Akai DPS16 for my stuff, and then export the wav files into his Sonar setup.

Regards...Bob.

Bulls Hit nailed it. It's not possible to do without Input Monitoring.

Back