Newbie question, need advice

something cool

Alright, you all seem to know what you're talking about, maybe you can help me out?

With the holidays coming up, I'm looking to get a keyboard/midi controller for recording purposes. I use a Triton LE at school and love it, but for my own little studio I'd like to hopefully stay below $500. I'm no pianist so basically I'm looking to add effects and weird sounds and a little piano here and there to my guitar-based recordings. Drums too.

So far I've been looking at the Roland A37, the M-Audio 61. Thoughts on either of these? Do either of them come with a decent number of patches? or any?

Someone suggested the Roland XP30, which looks sweet, but is just a little too pricey for me. Some guy down at the guitar shop also suggested the Korg MicroKorg.

Anyways, long story short: What's the best I can do with less than $500?

Need more info please ask. I'm total newb when it comes to this stuff. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

An ms2000 or micro korg are the most fun you can have with a synth, for the money as far as I know. And they definitely both have weird sounds...
What kind of music do you want to make?
And do you know the difference between analog / virtual analog and sample based synths?

something cool said:
Alright, you all seem to know what you're talking about, maybe you can help me out?

With the holidays coming up, I'm looking to get a keyboard/midi controller for recording purposes. I use a Triton LE at school and love it, but for my own little studio I'd like to hopefully stay below $500. I'm no pianist so basically I'm looking to add effects and weird sounds and a little piano here and there to my guitar-based recordings. Drums too.

So far I've been looking at the Roland A37, the M-Audio 61. Thoughts on either of these? Do either of them come with a decent number of patches? or any?

Someone suggested the Roland XP30, which looks sweet, but is just a little too pricey for me. Some guy down at the guitar shop also suggested the Korg MicroKorg.

Anyways, long story short: What's the best I can do with less than $500?

Need more info please ask. I'm total newb when it comes to this stuff. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

The Roland A37 and M-Audio Radium61 are MIDI controllers and produce no sound of their own.

Look at the E-Mu PK6, Korg X5D, Roland RS-5 and Yamaha S-03. They are in your price range, but you sacrifice a decent keyboard feel, expandability and aftertouch response.

subtractor said:
An ms2000 or micro korg are the most fun you can have with a synth, for the money as far as I know. And they definitely both have weird sounds...
What kind of music do you want to make?
And do you know the difference between analog / virtual analog and sample based synths?

First off, thanks for the sugesstions. As you can see, I know basically nothing.

Type of music? I'm mostly a rocker/metalhead but I'm also into an industril/goth type of sound and electronic music, as well as softer more melodic stuff.

And the diff between analog/v.a./sample-based? nope, i'm dumb.

Back