Newbie question: increase rec. level?

Shepherd

I feel like a real dork asking this, but I'm trying to record from a very low-level source (a vewwy, vewwy quiet interview on MD) into N-track through a Delta 44.

I've got the volume on the MD and all the input/record levels jacked up on the Delta Control Panel and Windows.

Is there anything else I can do in n-track to augment recroding level when recording, or should I try some different software for the initial dump onto my hard drive? If the latter, any (shareware) recommendations?

Thanks...

(edit) While I'm at it, has anybody had any luck "undocking" the shortcut bars at the top to move around on dual monitors? I can move the record and playback VUs over to my second monitor, but not the taskbars. I think they have to be part of the main program window...

Last edited:
I have the opposite problem, the levels are way to high and I (feel like a dork as well) cant turn it down. It seems like there would be a control on N Track that can accomplish this. Thanks

Options:

1) Turn the track volume up.

2) Edit->Normalize

3) Use a limiter or compressor with a super high ratio (and crank the volume after the compressor).

One or a combo of these options will get you there.

Turn up & down in software isn't that desirable....get good levels INTO the system, not after it's in the system. Of course in your case it sounds like you didn't have any control over the situation.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks -- and you're right, better levels going in is a far better solution. For some reason, my MD recorder seems to make impeccable recordings with a very low output. I may need to invest in some sort of amplifier to jack up the sound on its way into the system.

I really need to sit down and RTFM, RTFM, RTFM a few more times...

Back