Newbie Question here!

ladex142

Hi everyone, i have a question. This might feel like a stupid question to you pros, so please don't bite me :D. What's the difference between a a/d d/a converter and a standalone a/d and d/a converter, do you get better sound by combining a standalone a/d and d/a converter or using a single box that has a/d/d/a combined. Do you think someone using an Apogee AD-16x with DA-16x would get a better sound than someone using an Apogee Rosetta 800?

What's the difference between a a/d d/a converter and a standalone a/d and d/a converter
A couple thousand bucks :rolleyes:

The stand alones are generally better quality than the combined... but the units you mention will pretty much be undistinguishable from each other...

I've used the Rosetta 800 but not the AD and AD boxes.

Given the price difference, Rosetta must think its a quality jump to separate the AD and DA stages.

My guess is that this has more to do with the quality of these devices and not that they are separate boxes. Just a guess. The boutique AD/DA devices tend to be standalone boxes. I always assumed this was because of cost- if there are good reasons to separate the convertors and clocks then I don't know what they are.

Welcome aboard, ladex142!
-C

Back