Newbie question about my 424

arf-bagel

If somebody would be kind enough to answer a newbie question I'd appreciate.

I've been told that I can get a much better guitar sound if I mic it rather than use my line out. Do you guys agree? If this is the case then I have another question. I'm already using 2 lines for my drums, 1 for the bass and now I'd like to mic both my amp and my cabinet which would be 2 more lines. So I would like to record 5 lines simultaneously onto my 4-track. I've heard of signal splitters. Can I use that to condense several lines into 1? That would be handy cuz eventually I'd like to have the option of running several lines in at once. Do they cost a fortune and are they what I need?

Thanks guys.

Hello arf!! If I was you, I would use a mixer. For your drums, get all of the mics you need and mix the mics on the mixer until you get the sound you want, and then send it into the 424. Do the same for your amp and cab. Just mic them, send them to the mixer, get the desired mix, and send it into the 424. I have never done this, so I don't know how it will stand up to anything else, but it's worth a thought at least. I am planning on doing this myself soon. Good luck with whatever you do!!

Brandon

Do me a favor God:

When you try this out let me know how it works. I don't have a mixer and probably won't be able to get one anytime too soon. I'd be interested to hear your results.

Thanks,
lumpygravy1@juno.com

Recording 5 instruments "live" can be done by inputting a 5th instrument (bass maybe?) on channel 5 or 6 and panning it hard so that it gets tracked with another comparable instrument (maybe with the track carrying the kick drum signal). The only thing is that the performance on the bass would have to be "perfect' because you won't be able to extricate it from the drum track if it needs fixing.

Sure will arf!! It may be a little while, I'm not getting my four track until sometime next week, but I will let you know. Good point england, but the only thing is, I think only the 424 MkIII has the extra inputs, doesn't it? What "Mk" of 424 do you have arf?

To many mics not enough channels. The ever on going struggle continues.

Classic problem, classic answer:
You need (A): Anouther mixer or anouther 4 track machine. You can rent very small mixpads (2ch) from your local AV company.(check the yellow pages)

Or (B): Just stick with the microphone on the amp, you will get a much fuller sound. Or if you like the sound from the line in, stick with that. It all depends on your preference.

Or (C): You can buy Mic Combiners (they kind of look like a big DI) but you would have no control over the signal going to tape, and you might run into phase problems, and it would probably sound like crap. There are ones with level controls, but you might as well get a mixer.

Or (D): Only record 3 tracks (Bass + drum mics). Then go back and ping pong the two drum tracks to the open track.
Now you have two open tracks for your two guitar signals.
Have the guitarist play along the frist time but don't record him/her.....get it?........good luck!

2 signals from the same amp

I almost forgot!
If you record two signals from the same source and you try and mix them together, all you get is a mono signal.
But since you are using the line in and a amp mic you might be able to get an okay sound, but it won't sound like two guitars if you pan 1 signal left and 1 right. If thats what your trying to do, you need a delay or a harmonizer effects unit, to create a false stereo image....sorry.

Back