Newbie needs (sound) advice

nattn

I need a little advice on my recording setup. I'm thinking of upgrading my soundcard from a soundblaster platinum to a pro audio card (budget 400.00). I would also like to purchase a decent mic preamp(budget 400.00) as i am not happy with the sound when I run the mics thru my mixer. I was wondering which soundcard and preamp are best for the work that I am doing (lo fi rock with efx & loops). I mic my acoustic guitars & run my electric guitar through the pod to the mixer. My bass is run directly through the mixer.

My setup is as follows:
-P-3 900mhz 40 gig 256k memory (Windows ME)
-Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 audio card
-Behringer MX 1604a mixer
-Behringer Virtualizer Pro efx processor
-Yamaha QY 70 sequencer
-Rolls 5 channel headphone amp
-Roland PC 300 midi controller
-Alesis M1 Active monitors
-Pod Line 6 direct box
-Audio Technica 4033 condensor mic (1)
-shure sm57 mic (1)
-cubase 5 VST
-Fruity Loops 3
-Propellerheads Reason
-Acid Pro
-Taylor 510 Acoustic Guitar
-Taylor 710 Acoustic Guitar
-Guild Bluesbird Electric
-Fender Jazz Bass

1. any advice on a good audio card (under 400.00) with multi in/out ideally 1/4 " & RCA.
2. Any advice on a good mic pre (under 400.00) something multipurpose that i coul;d possibly run my electric instruments through as well.

thanks all for your help.

Wow, your setup is very similar to mine, but you have more stuff and a faster CPU -- I'm jealous.

I recommend the Delta 66. It has 4 1/4" balanced or unbalanced analog ins and outs, plus S/PDIF to boot, and it sounds fabulous. I have one in my box with an SB Live (the earlier model without the 5.1 support), and they play nice together.

For a preamp, well, you already have the Behringer... I hear good things about the PreSonus Blue Tube for under $200. I have an ART Tube MP Studio and I've owned it for too short a time to know whether I particularly like it compared to the Behringer, or not. There are a bunch in the price range you mentioned.

Thanks AlChuck,

I was considering the 66 & the bluetube already. I am assuming that you keep your soundblaster card for it's midi & soundfont compatibility? Is it pretty easy to switch back & forth from audio card to audio card?

Also, I have latency issues with VST instruments using the soundblaster. Right now I track something in a soundfont or midi & then map the VST instrument to the recording. I would rather use the VST instrument live. Any advice?

Thanks again

I am assuming that you keep your soundblaster card for it's midi & soundfont compatibility? Is it pretty easy to switch back & forth from audio card to audio card?
Yes, and yes.

Also, I have latency issues with VST instruments using the soundblaster. Right now I track something in a soundfont or midi & then map the VST instrument to the recording. I would rather use the VST instrument live. Any advice?
No, I don't have any experience with VST-capable stuff. I have heard that the APS drivers (the SB Live is virtually the same hardware as the Emu Audio Production Studio) have ASIO driver support which vastly reduces latency -- if you have an ASIO-compatible software package.

Back