NEWBIE: n-track, delta 66, & ASIO

recwall

I started using n-track after working with cool edit pro for awhile. I like n-track it seems to work better with my sound card but at first I had some real problems. Through trial an error I found that I can only record the way I want to (ie: 1 stereo track at a time- overdubbing) with the ASIO drivers. I know very little about the differences between ASIO and WDM, (what's the other one? MDS?) ... anyway... why only ASIO? and why were those options not available or applicable in Cool Edit Pro? I should just be glad it works and sounds good I guess. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this - but if anyone here can clarify the differences between these parameters, or point me to a proper resource on this, thanks in advance. I want to understand this stuff.

CEP doesn't support ASIO. In fact, I think it only supports MME.

ASIO is great, use it. I don't know why WDM doesn't work for you, as you didn't say what was actually happening. If you are on an older OS like Win98 that could be the problem.

Slackmaster 2000

With CEP - I just get a lot of drop out and stuttering while recording new tracks, despite all the windows XP tweaking I've done (thanks to info I read on this BBS;-).

CEP was working a bit better than it was with the new XP tweaks but still not w/o pops and drop outs or even just stopping out right like it does from time to time. Perhaps I just haven't found the magic buffer settings between my sound card utility and the CEP settings.

I've found that with n-track and the ASIO driver, I never get a skip, or pop. WDM doesn't work for me yet though. I'm not doing something right with that driver. I can't monitor my input (visually), and if I record anyway, the input signal is there but it is significantly delayed. With ASIO, 2 tracks in and 2 tracks out, (which is all I really do for now) it works flawlessly so far.

Back