newbie monitor question

azrider

ok, i 've been mixing threw head phones on protools le on my mbox 2 and of corse the mix suck. i want get some monitors but know very little about them. do i need a amp to run them, i know i need some with a flat response. any suggestion my budget is 250.

Your probably be better off spending that money on the best set of headphones you can afford.

Then after that id save up for either a set of Event ASP8 which are awesome speakers.

Around 1800 US.

Look into acoustic treatment and youl be laughing.

Probably not what you want to hear but if you get cheap speakers basically every mixing decicsion you make on them will be wrong.

If you want top results you need to consider

better preamps and ad conversion

better speakers and acoustic treatment.

Then focus on tracking to perfection.

Trust me and focus on these aspects as soon as you can and you will get to your goals a lot sooner.

Last edited:
If you can save up another hundred you can get a pair of these . Alternately, perhaps you could find a used pair within your 250 budget. These are what I use, and they work great. They'll do a heck of a lot better job for you than trying to use headphones :)

azrider said:
do i need a amp to run them

In answer to that question, no you don't need an amp to run these monitors I recommended, or any other ACTIVE monitors. If you buy PASSIVE monitors, however, you will need a separate amp to power them.

Techincally, that's not entirely true.
The Active/Passive definition refers to where the crossover occurs, not where the amp is. However, it's highly unlikely that a speaker that has an active crossover will be driven by an external amp (although it can happen) so the term "Active" has been adopted for "powered" speakers.

Just a bit of symantics for y'all

I think somebody is selling a pair of Wharfdales in you price range they get favorable reviews. Check the classifieds.

I tried to learn a decent pair of headphones for a few months, then switched to cheap monitors, and my mixes instantly translated better. After the same amount of time I spent learning (failing to learn) my 'phones, I was getting mixes right on the first burn, not third or fourth.

Phones are good for frequencies, terrible for levels and pans. IMHO.

cpl_crud said:
Techincally, that's not entirely true.
The Active/Passive definition refers to where the crossover occurs, not where the amp is. However, it's highly unlikely that a speaker that has an active crossover will be driven by an external amp (although it can happen) so the term "Active" has been adopted for "powered" speakers.

Just a bit of symantics for y'all

Yeah but now-a-dayz when you hear active it meansor refers to powered monitors.

-Blaze

blazingstrings said:
Yeah but now-a-dayz when you hear active it meansor refers to powered monitors.

-Blaze

I know- even most advertising uses this discription. I see myself as a fighter for Language- I even correct people on the proper use of "Adgenda" vs "Adgendum".

It's such a pity my typing sucks so bad- hard to campaign for proper english when you always type "teh" and "jsut"

Oh well.

Um, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah. I use the Alesis M1MkII. They're pretty funky once you get used to them. Plus, blue LED! Gotta love blue LEDs...

pingu said:
Your probably be better off spending that money on the best set of headphones you can afford.

Then after that id save up for either a set of Event ASP8 which are awesome speakers.

Around 1800 US.

Look into acoustic treatment and youl be laughing.

Probably not what you want to hear but if you get cheap speakers basically every mixing decicsion you make on them will be wrong.

If you want top results you need to consider

better preamps and ad conversion

better speakers and acoustic treatment.

Then focus on tracking to perfection.

Trust me and focus on these aspects as soon as you can and you will get to your goals a lot sooner.

First off spending any more money on headphones is just stupid. Second ASP8's only run about 1200 US. Third, saying that any cheaper monitors will yield incorrect mixing decisions is totally inaccurate and kind of a snobish statement. IMO you've given some down right shitty info here. Anyone with a little talent can easily work with the pre's and converters on the mbox. The one thing you were right about is acoustic treatment, although it should really be one of the first things he looks at doing. There are several active(self powered) monitors out there in the 350 to 500 dollar range that are totally acceptable for project studios, and should get you really good results. All that is really more up to what your talent level is though. But seriously first look at Ethan Winer's website realtraps.com , I think, and look at doing some acoustic treatment.

Back