Newbie mic Q's (only 2):

thwackless

I'm shopping for a mic (my first large diaphragm- I'm so excited!). Right... so I could get a Shure KSM 27, or an AT3035 for a nice deal at the music store where I teach. I've narrowed the choice down to these, knocking off the CAD, and a couple others. Any opinions? This needs to be a "workhorse", as it were.

And (no 2), anyone heard of Kel Audio? They advertise a 'warm, full-sounding' mic for $100. kelaudio.com is the web address. Just throwing this out, thanks.

Rog.

I consider the 2 mics compareable. Personally, I prefer AKG C2000B to either of them. It's actually a small diaphragm in a larger housing, but it works for me.- Richie

So, Rich,

How do you use your mic? I mean applications in particular (!)... I'm needing an all-around piece, and I generally am liking the idea of a diaphragm with more mass, for all the obvious physical reasons. And spending $200 is better than spending $300...

In what ways, if I may press it, are these two mics I mentioned similar? And how well does your small diaphragm "keep up"? I say this realizing you're doing what you're doing, and there are different properties (see above, right...). Here's what I'll be doing with mine:

Vox
Bass cab
Guitar
Room
Overhead or kick drum
Violin
Acoustic guitar
Percussion
Close-miking power tools
Ambient sounds indoors/outdoors...

You know, an all-around kind of mic!

Thanks,

Rog.

thwackless said:
I've narrowed the choice down to these, knocking off the CAD, and a couple others.
Rog... what method did you use to narrow it down with? Don

Answers- the mics you mention are both fairly neutral mics that are fairly accurate, and rather versatile. Yeah, they would work for everything you mention, with the exception of bass cab, IMO, which requires a specialized low frequency mic. Prior to the aquisition of a bunch of higher quality mics (B.L.U.E. Kiwi, AKG C414B-ULS, B.L.U.E. Baby Bottle, Rode NTK, Shure SM-7B, and more), I used C2000B on vox, acoustic, cabs, assorted percussion, almost anything. Now, I use it primarily for toms, Djembe, backing vocals, some lead vocals, and particularly guitar cabs. It's still the best cab mic I have, and the best mic I have for toms, conga, Djembe, and Doumbek. For $180 with the shock mount, it's a lovely workhorse.
Now, the C414 and a pair of Neumann KM184's have mostly taken over acoustic guitar, and the Kiwi/NTK/C414/ Baby Bottle have become the main vocal mics. For assorted percussion and cabs, it still is pretty much the best mic I have.-Richie

DJL said:
Rog... what method did you use to narrow it down with? Don

That sm7b is over my head. I'm looking for something for more general use, which violates a certain sensibility which I can't currently afford! Thanks for the insight.

As far as my decision-making skills:

Shamefully, I have used an arbitrary method loosely based on a degree of experience in the tool business (long past now). I've found that at a point, you get what you pay for. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks from a reputable manufacturer, than take a chance on getting something that may end up getting very limited use, though I may have paid a bit less for it. I'm shying away from stuff that's "too cheap"... The CAD $100 large-diaphragm (can't remember the model #) bothers me, 'cause it's response curve looks too good, and the blurb on it sounds too good for the price. I'm wary of the 'presence peaks' thing.

Another point: My room is rather bright, hollow, and brittle sounding. I'm not prepared to spend much $ on tuning it up (with Auralex, for example), and truthfully it's pretty good for vocals, I found. Drums are tough, though. I am building some baffles, bass traps, etc, and have to warm up the stone walls a bit, but I don't want to end up with too zingy a sound with a bright-sounding mic.

I'd like to have something solid that does a lot of different chores. Admittedly I'm not expecting to get major attention at this point, and am not even a small-time pro operation. My "studio" is called "The Laundry Room"! But my reggae band is going to record here, and I may be doing some spoken word stuff with live music backing it. And of course, I need something that can handle high SPL's. The Hitatchi compound-slide miter saw is pretty loud.

I'm listening to hear if I should adjust my attitude here. Should I get over to Guitar Center and pick up a $60 MXL? Anyone know about the KEL Audio mics?

Rog...

Last edited:
Richard Monroe said:
Answers- the mics you mention are both fairly neutral mics that are fairly accurate, and rather versatile. Yeah, they would work for everything you mention, with the exception of bass cab, IMO, which requires a specialized low frequency mic. Prior to the aquisition of a bunch of higher quality mics (B.L.U.E. Kiwi, AKG C414B-ULS, B.L.U.E. Baby Bottle, Rode NTK, Shure SM-7B, and more), I used C2000B on vox, acoustic, cabs, assorted percussion, almost anything. Now, I use it primarily for toms, Djembe, backing vocals, some lead vocals, and particularly guitar cabs. It's still the best cab mic I have, and the best mic I have for toms, conga, Djembe, and Doumbek. For $180 with the shock mount, it's a lovely workhorse.
Now, the C414 and a pair of Neumann KM184's have mostly taken over acoustic guitar, and the Kiwi/NTK/C414/ Baby Bottle have become the main vocal mics. For assorted percussion and cabs, it still is pretty much the best mic I have.-Richie

That's a pretty good recommendation, Rich. And the price is allright, too. Thanks for the word. BTW, what do you use for miking up a bass cab?

Rog.

Back