Newbie Live Recording Question

homchz

Hello all,

I am new here, a musician that has always been interested in recording for a while. I am trying to find a way to record my live concerts, with at least 4 tracks and the ablilty to edit on a computer. (Not really sure this is even possible).

I have posted on other board before this one and now on has given me answer yet so maybe it is not possible.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Joshua Jones
www.joshua-jones.com

i think ull need a console for that. youll have to run each track wit ha seperate output, so u can edit them seperately on a computer. this is how i think its done.

There are a bunch of ways to do it - it all depends on your preference. I'd recommend a standalone 4 track recorder with direct outs for each channel - it's a lot easier than lugging around a whole computer system.

From there, the best way to get it into your computer would be to use a multi-input soundcard like the Delta 44. Then you just adjust levels and record.

If you don't mind lugging your computer around, you can just get a Delta 44 and be done with it - no 4 track needed - just record right into the computer from the get-go.

There are other ways too - if you opt for a digital 4 track that records in a PC supported format using zip disks or flash ram cards, you can just get a card reader for the PC and copy the tracks right in.

The only method I wouldn't recommend is to use a 4 track that doesn't have line outs for each track, and use a basic 16 bit recording card. Not only will the quality be poor, it'll be VERY difficult to get the 4 tracks to line up exactly. The slightest variance in tape speed will screw you up for sure, and it's a nightmare to try and fix.

And by the way, Welcome to the board :)

Back