newbie-ish drum loop question

Waysid

Hi,

I have started trying to use drum loops to help complete the rock/pop songs I have been working on. I was basically wondering about how people go about creating their drum tracks using loops. I have a basic understanding of ACID and and other wave editors but here is my main question. Ok I have found a basic drum pattern that I like and want to use it in a verse of my song. Now how do I add fills and/or variations to this pattern for other areas of the songs. Many of the samples I have found are just simple 4 bar beats. If I want to add chorus beats etc do I need to find other samples recorded on the same kit with the same setup etc..or are there other ways to go about it. What do other people do to create full song drum tracks? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

I don't know if this helps at all. I use fruity loops, but I don't use pre-programmed loops. Can you program your own loops in acid? I just program each change as it's own pattern. Then I tell it the order I want each pattern.

My trick then is to solo each drum one at a time (kick, snare etc) and export each wav. Import them into protools and I have seperated drum tracks. It's time consuming and I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but it seems to work for me.

Thanks for the response. So you basically you work with individual drum samples and then build up your beats in Fruity Loops. I am sure you could do this ACID as well ( I have just started working with it so I am not too used to it yet). This seems like a solid way of doing things but would be pretty time consuming and would require me to come up with the various drum beats myself (my drum pattern knowledge is pretty basic).

Thanks for the help.
Chris

Back