Newbie home recording workflow: Tell me how I can improve it

valacirca

I recently started to pursue home recording and currently have a barebones setup in my room. I think what I have is a decent start. Tell me how I can improve on it. Please. :)

Hardware/Instruments:
* Twinhead laptop (a 3yr old unit that has a 1.6Ghz Pentium M processor + 1GB RAM)
* a basic Audio-Technica microphone
* Marshall MG30DFX guitar amp
* Fender Squier Strat
* Vox Cooltron Bulldog distortion pedal
* Wharfedale EZ-M 16x10 Mixer
* Behringer DI100 Di-box

Software:
* Hydrogen - for drum loops
* REAPER - I just started to try this out

Setup:
Guitar ---> Pedal ---> DI Box...
...DI Box (link out)---> Amp ---> Mic ---> Mixer ---> Laptop (via microphone-in)
...DI Box (main out)-------------------------^

Process:
* Assuming I've already got a song completely composed already:
1) I create the drum loop in Hydrogen, export it in .wav format and then import it in Audacity.
2a) Mixer input gains are cranked up as high as possible w/o causing clipping.
2b) Mixer output levels level are set as low as possible since I figured this method seems to minimize noise the most.
3) I record the guitar tracks one at a time and then adjust the wave forms so that they're synced-up with each other and with the drum track.
4) I add whatever VST I find necessary
5) Then I just adjust the loudness of the audio tracks if I feel like the drums are too loud or the lead guitar is too soft and the like...
6) When everything's done, I just export it as necessary (to .mp3 or .wav).

...and then... that's it. I don't know anything at all about real mixing and mastering so I basically don't do much post-processing.

So... help! What's the most immediate thing I do in terms of software I can download, hardware I can buy or additional steps in my process I could take to greatly improve the quality of what I'm doing?

I'm thinking maybe a simple audio interface such as the Behringer UCA202 might be an improvement instead of going through the laptop mic-in. I wanted the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra but that's around double my budget so I settled for the DI-Box + cheap Wharfedale mixer + Behringer UCA202...

If anyone has any questions to make a more informed suggestion, just post :-D

Thanks ;)

Still using a built-in soundcard?? Unfortunately, those are made with less than $1 worth of chips for beeps, boops and light gaming (not to mention cheapness for the manufacturer) and NOT quality music production. Replacing a 40-cent onboard soundcard with a real 24-bit ASIO low-latency soundcard is a must!

#1 Rule of Recording: You MUST replace the built-in soundcard.

Here's a good guide and tested suggestions that WORK: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm
(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)

Yup, still using the built-in soundcard and using the mic-input! That's just because the Behringer UCA202 I was looking for isn't in-stock yet at the local store yet. Most other better audio interfaces aren't within the budget anymore...

You'll improve what you're doing 200% by using the line in rather than mic in if you have it.
A better sound card is better.
A dedicated audio recording card is MUCH, MUCH better.
Of course there are USB & firewire interfaces if you have the connections & cash.
BUT, the 1st line would be your cheapest, fastest option.
Oh, you don't have to buy new or top of the range etc. I do quite nicely for myself, ( I mean I please me that is), with an ancient INCA 8I/8O card with break out box I bought for less than $100 on the bay.

Alas... my laptop doesn't have a line-in...but yeah, I have heard the line-in > mic-in comparison before. Unfortunately, I'll just have to wait for that USB Audio Interface I've already reserved.

Makes me wonder: Some of my audio tracks contain clicks and pops -- like what you hear when playing a vinyl sometimes, only more irritating -- is that probably because I'm connected to the laptop via the mic-in the way I am?

It's probably because your mic level going into your computer it too high. You can monitor to get the correct level.

Are you talking about clipping? If yes, I don't think it's that since I'm quite conscious not to let the signal clip anywhere -- whether in the mixer of the DAW. Also, my mic-in recording volume/level is set VERY low on the control panel.

That's why I'm thinking it might just be because of the mic-in itself. Another consideration I'm making is maybe because the processing power of my laptop is too weak (1.6Ghz Pentium M processor + 1GB RAM) and the machine itself is already very loaded. This is why the track doesn't flow smoothly during recording and even playback at times...

I'd say the clicking and popping is almost definately down to your processor not being fast enough, close down all other services running on the computer and disconnect the network card.

You really really need to get a recording sound card though, then not only will everything sound better but you will be able to adjust the latency settings to get rid of the pops and clicks.

have a look on ebay you may not have to spend as much as you think. EMU or M-Audio are good entry-level makes to look for, a firewire card will probably be cheaper than PCMCIA and USB. Good luck :)

the UCA202 is fine for listening back or using with software midi instruments...it is totally rubbish for recording guitars and other outboard instruments....

the quality breaks up, sounds thin, volumes low, and a bit distorted Im afraid...it also needs to be run on a pretty high latency to stop clicks and pops....i use mine when im travelling for its size and the fact i dont play guitars on aircraft ;)

I picked up a line6 toneport GX for $20 on C'list, comes with a limited version of podfarm (great for vocal preamps) and the quality is as good as my main line6 interface..

maybe you want to have a look about..sorry

You also need to optimise you laptop for recording - set it up as another user account so you can select it when recording.
I use XP so sussed around on the net & found a few explanations about optimising XP for audio. I assume there's simialr for Vista & 7.
It makes a LOT of difference.
Your processor & RAM are fine.
Have a suss out on my soundclcik page & play Sewer/night out. It was recorded with a P4 under W98 with only 250meg RAM.
It recording & mixing went well & the result is pretty good - especially since I imported my collaborators from the internet via MP3s converted to wav.
BUT the comp was set up for audio so it wasn't trying to do anything else at the same time. The more going on the more things can create noise, slow things down, create latency etc.

Back