Newbie here. Lots of drum machines, synths, etc. Do i need a mixer and usb interface to computer

Shad0wman

I'm a bit intimidated by computer recording and midi and all the hook up needed.
Where to begin?! Would I need both a USB interface and Mixer? Any recommendations would be cool, midrange stuff.
I had bought a mixer and reference speaker, hooked up a korg beats, sounded terrible, sent back. Mixer was like $100 from Ams.com. Would like to stay around $300 for mixer and USB interface if that's what I need.

Start with PC and a USB interface . A 6i6 from Focusrite was $50 on Reverb. The DAW software can be the mixer. Reaper is nice. Comes with a folder full of VSTs.

You want a synth that handles midi over USB for best results.

Korg makes excellent products. Thats a shame.

I'm a bit intimidated by computer recording and midi and all the hook up needed.
Where to begin?! Would I need both a USB interface and Mixer? Any recommendations would be cool, midrange stuff.
I had bought a mixer and reference speaker, hooked up a korg beats, sounded terrible, sent back. Mixer was like $100 from Ams.com. Would like to stay around $300 for mixer and USB interface if that's what I need.

A Focusrite 2i2 is a good deal - used it is a better deal. Do you mean that you have lots of drum machines and snyths? If so hook the up to the computer via USB. You don't really need a mixer at first and if it's just you.

This is kind of a broad question. The answer depends on the goal.
If you only record one thing at a time, a 2 channel interface will work fine. You just have to plug in the thing you are recording at the moment.

If you want to record all the synths and drum machines at the same time, you will need an interface that has 2 inputs for each instrument. You might also need a USB hub to distribute midi to everything.

If this is for live performance, then you would need a mixer. Since the mixer will take all the signals and combine them to a stereo mix, it isn't really useful for recording because once you mix everything together, you have no control over the individual instruments anymore.

Thanks for responses.

It could be that I may want to run a drum track, maybe a sequenced synth lead or bass line and definitely guitar part, maybe vocals, I guess 2 lines would work.

Back