newbie cakewalk question

skyway57

i am looking for some good basic recording software to use with my current pc...running windows 98....

any thoughts on home studio 2002?...has anyone here used it?

other software requires a newer version of windows which is not really a possibility right now...

If you can find Pro Audio 9, it runs well undder 98. I'm still using it with grweat success (with 98 S.E.)

Hey there Skyway,

I think there are are a few of us HomeStudio users hereabouts. The most recent version is HS2004 and now includes ASIO support. ASIO will probably give you the best latency depending on your audiocard's drivers.

I'm using HS2002 with Win98SE. The only problems I encountered were that my videocard had insufficient RAM for Virtual Sound Canvas DXi (it has since been upgraded to a GeForce2 MX400) and my current PC fails to shutdown properly unless I Ctrl+Alt+Del and click on Shut Down from the Close Program dialogue box. Other than that HS runs very smoothly.

If you only intend recording one intrument at a time, HS really is ideal. It's easy to use and can give some very professional sounding results. Check out Trojka's recordings on NowhereRadio.

Pedullist aka Trojka hangs around this BB dispensing his superior knowledge. He's a dedicated HS user.

--
BluesMeister

i used Cakewalk PA 9 for long time, no problems. the problem often caused by windows98 itself, not the cakewalk :) but as you pass your first month, anything will be fine :)

I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro with Win98.
32 tracks, never had a problem with it. No midi though, just audio

skyway57 said:
i am looking for some good basic recording software to use with my current pc...running windows 98....

any thoughts on home studio 2002?...has anyone here used it?

other software requires a newer version of windows which is not really a possibility right now...

Just upgraded tp HS2004. It is a big improvement over HS2002 and adds alot of features that became a part of Sonar in versions 2.x

I suggest you look into dumping 98 - period. Why is it not a possibility?

brzilian said:
I suggest you look into dumping 98 - period. Why is it not a possibility?
Hi there Brzilian, good to see you around here again!

In my particular case, I have to wait until sufficient funds are available before I make the switch to XP. I'm running Win98SE for what it's worth.

I heard from Pedullist shortly after he upgraded to HS2004 and he too was most praiseworthy about HS2004. He was really rapt with it. :)

Currently I'm trying to convince my Financial Controller that I can get a good deal through EtCetera in the UK for an upgrade to HS2004. EtCetera are the UK distributors for CakeWalk products. Incidentally, I bought my HS2002 in the UK in November last year. EtCetera were OK with me upgrading through them.

Until the end of July they are offering the UG for 25 Pounds sterling. It will cost me a further 13Pounds sterling to get it shipped to Australia, but that's a damned sight cheaper than the UG is here. :(

--
BluesMeister

thanks everyone for the feedback... i'm using an aardvark and the card/box comes with a copy of pa9, so i think i'll attempt that first before diving into anything else...i am brand new to all of this so i'll have my hands full with just about any program i'm sure....

getting a new operating system which usually means more memory and speed needed, is financially out of the cards right now...

i appreciate all the thoughts....

skyway57 said:
thanks everyone for the feedback... i'm using an aardvark and the card/box comes with a copy of pa9, so i think i'll attempt that first before diving into anything else...i am brand new to all of this so i'll have my hands full with just about any program i'm sure....

getting a new operating system which usually means more memory and speed needed, is financially out of the cards right now...

i appreciate all the thoughts....

How do you know that? Why don't you post your system specs so we can let you know.

Up until last summer I was running XP on a PII-400 with 512Mb of RAM and it ran just fine. Memory is also cheap now, especially if your system does not call for the latest DDR/RAMBUS chips.

The problem is that your card is going to waste because only Win2k and XP make efficient use of WDM drivers. 98 and ME do not have full implementation/support for WDM drivers.

The software that comes with Aardvark, do you have the Q10 or what. Is good, but no drums, or bass background. Only if you record it yourself.

brzilian said:
How do you know that? Why don't you post your system specs so we can let you know.

I have a Dell Dimension with a Pentium 3 and 733MHz processor
About 512 Ram

guitarjesus said:
The software that comes with Aardvark, do you have the Q10 or what. Is good, but no drums, or bass background. Only if you record it yourself.

Yes I have the Q10...I just installed the card two days agao and I haven't gotten any farther than arming a track and getting a signal from my acoustic at this point...wasn't sure about drum tracks yet...

Cakewalk does have a deal where you can upgrade from other Cakewalk software to Sonar for a reduced rate if you decide later you want more options.

Back