Newbie Apple laptop ?'s- please help!

Milkfaj

I need a laptop for digital recording. I want to be able to record up to four (4) tracks (@24bits) at the same time. I am new to apple laptops though, and i need some help.

first off, i need to know how powerful of a processor i will need. would 800mhz G4 be enough for my recording needs?

I'll need some kind of audio interface. I assume it will be a USB device. I need recommendations on these, as I have no experience with them.

I know that most Macs come with garage band recording software. has anyone had much experience with this? is it worthwhile or will I need to invest in a better program?

Finaly- i cant figure out the difference between a Ibook and a Powerbook. also- how much better is G4 than G3? anyone know what the difference is?

here are a couple systems i am considering:
Powerbook G4 800mhz
Ibook G3 800mhz
Ibook G4 1.2ghz

Ok, first of all, you should have no worry that any of the laptops you are looking at couldnt handle 4 tracks of simultaneous recording. 800mhz would be fine, and so would the 1.2ghz. I have garageband installed on my OS but to be honest, ive only opened it, then shut it down again. I use Cubase and have honestly never even tried using Garageband, so i cant really help you there. I think its more of a 'play around' programme more than a serious work programme, although i could be wrong. The difference between the iBook and the powerbook is basically written infront of you, the iBook is designed for the 'non-power' user, whereas the powerbook is full on hardcore power compressed into a shell of a laptop for those hardcore power users. Difference between G3 and G4? Just the same as anything else, Pentium 3 and Pentium 4, G4 and G5 processors. The higher the number, the better it is :)

Regarding the audio interface, depending on how much your budget is, you might want to check out the M Audio range? I use the presonus firebox for when im 'on the move' and thats great. The presonus firebox is a firewire device which is better than USB (Depending on what 'type').

Regarding the systems you are considering looking at, i would personally go for the G4 powerbook and if theres any cash left over, stick some extra RAM in it and enjoy it :)

Good luck!

React said:
only 4 tracks?! o your fine with one of those slow comps :) atleast 256 MB of ram would be nice

I wouldnt say their slow. Theyre not the fastest, but theyre definateley not slow.

Back