Newbie Alert

Vintage TX

Hi Guys,
I found this forum and think it has several interesting subjects.
Myself restore old reel to reel decks as a hobby down here in Texas. Have done that since early 80's ( getting old ) LOL.
But love the smell of tape-acid in the morning !
I mostly concentrate on Akai, Pioneer, Sony, Tascam, Teac. Sometimes other brands and models is tempting also.
Also do some recording and transfer helping friends out with old tapes etc. As usual lot of projects sitting and always open to meet people with the same hobby.
If you have any questions I can hopefully help you out if it tape-related. Have friends from Australia, Sweden, HongKong, Holland with the same passion for this gear.
Hope we can have some fun and share some good threads in the future.

Hi Outlaw,

Thanks, I found the analog forum and made a post there.
That is a nice Akai you have there, similar to X-200 with the auto-reverse on the headcover. I got a couple of quad-decks but not like yours, it's a beauty !!!

Best regards
Vintage TX

The one in the picture isn't my actual unit but I do have a question maybe you would know. Mine has a 50htz/60htz screw inbtween both reels on the face of the unit. It also has a 50htz/60htz switch on the back of the unit. Any ideas why?

They usally only have the switch between the reel-tables or on the back, but not both ?
Where is the voltage-selector located at, on the back next to the power-cord or ?

Thanks Christopher, after new year there will many more.
Got 6 Otari MX-5050 coming and several bigger decks like Tascam 34, 42 also waiting here.

Best regards
Vintage TX

Tell me what you looking for Chris, maybe I got some good news or know someone closer to Seattle.
Have lot's of friends in CA with decks.

Vintage TX said:
They usally only have the switch between the reel-tables or on the back, but not both ?

Correct...the picture I linked to on the post above is not my actual unit. That one is a picture of an American model without the screw on the face of the unit. Mine was purchased over in Thailand by my dad way back when in the Army.

Vintage TX said:
Where is the voltage-selector located at, on the back next to the power-cord or ?

Yes. Its a Fuse/VoltageSelector knob. ...right next to the htz switch and cord.

Just kind of boggles my mind why there are two places to switch it.

With the addition of people like Vintage TX, we may just make this site every bit as good, nay even better than the old Tascam BBS.

Vintage TX said:
Tell me what you looking for Chris

MONEY!

Haha. Seriously, an analog mixdown thing is the last piece of equipment I need right now.

I just really want one sometime in the future. Haha.

Derek, whatever happen with Tascam's Forum ?
Awhile back they were doing some changes and it never came up again right ?

Chris, money is always a battle and Dec with christmas presents + bills in Januari... don't want to think about it. ...

Outlaw, if the Akai was bought in Thailand, it can be a "hybrid" they were making decks for the american market and over-sea market with different quality parts in US market= class A and less quality for other parts of the world... ...
Check the metalplate on the back and see what it says.

Derek,
Larry Robinson he was on the Tascam Forum, that's right.
I miss many of the great threads and people on that Forum....

Back