Newb question... recording in stereo

HyperAXISZ2

Hey...
I have a problem... Probably a newb question, but one that's quite frustrating :confused: ... When I play my elec guitar, it sounds awesome on my pc, but when I record, the quality is altered and it only records on one channel (left). Why is this? I know to truly record in stereo, you have to use two mics, but if the sounds is reproduced in stereo on my pc, then why can't it record in stereo on my pc?

What kind of cable should I buy? Maybe that's my problem... and btw, I have my guitar hooked up to a modulator, that's hooked up to a fast track usb audio interface, and that's hooked up to my pc... But no matter how I arrange this chain, it always record in the similar "one-channel" manner...

Blah... :(

(And btw, I searched for this topic, but couldn't find it)

Your guitar is a mono signal.

That isn't a sterio signal you're hearing though your computer speakers, its a mono signal panned center to both speakers.

The reason your sound quailty is soo bad is beacause you are recording direct. It's next to impossible to get great direct tone. I use a POD XT to do my direct recording, and while its not great, its decent.

Come to think about my last post, I didn't really anwser your question.

To reproduce what you hear, just record it as a mono track and then pan it to the center. I'm not sure what program you're using but in cubase theres a button on every track to make it either mono or stereo.

What wx3 said.

All mono tracks - and you recorded one - are either left or right.

If you listen to that track in mono, or pan it, you will hear it in both sides.

:eek:

It's that simple of a fix!?!? I took your advice and it works... wow... I've been struggling with this problem forever, so I always just copied the left channel and pasted it into the right, but this way is much simpler... Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

:) :) :)

Back