Newb question...MIDI, DXi's

riotshield

Hi,

I just 'upgraded' from using an audio-only multitracker (CEP) to Sonar 2.2. This is my first time using MIDI, I think. Basically I would like to add some synth sounds to my recordings (downloaded Triangle II). So I have my Evolution MK-249C connected, fire up Sonar, insert Triangle, and it plays. But I'm confused as to actually record what I'm playing. I'm guessing I arm a MIDI track for recording and record that, and when I downmix it will add the audio? Also there are multiple options under Ins and Outs under each track and I don't know which one to pick.

Also, is there any way to see what I'm playing when I'm recording? i.e., in CEP I could see the waveforms being drawn as it was recording which was helpful. But I can't see anything until after I hit Stop.

Last, what is a good latency for MIDI? I am using a USB interface and with 384 samples on my Audiophile 2496 and ASIO drivers it says it is 8 ms. Is this decent? When I set the samples lower sometimes I will hear pops/clicks in my audio.

Thanks!

riotshield said:
I'm guessing I arm a MIDI track for recording and record that, and when I downmix it will add the audio?
Bingo! Absolutely correct! :) What outputs to use depends on the synth, so there's no real good answer for that one. I just use the "Make tracks automaticly" when I add a DXi in Sonar, and if I need more output-audiotracks, I just make them myself.

And no, in Sonar 2 there's no way of seeing what you record (but perhaps if you open up the Piano Roll). In Sonar 3 you'll see what you record straight away.

Latency: Has nothing to do with MIDI latency which is the latency in the MIDI protocol (it's a pretty slow protocol, only 34 kb/s if I remember correctly). No what you want is the audio-latency (which is what we normally talk about when the word "latency" is mentioned). I would set the buffers to 128 samples, and hit the Reprofile button under Options -> Audio. And then I would set the latency to 2.9 ms... if this works for you depends on how strong your computer is.

Thanks for that helpful info. It's a bummer I can't the track draw as I play, but I guess I'll learn to live with it. :)

riotshield said:
Thanks for that helpful info. It's a bummer I can't the track draw as I play, but I guess I'll learn to live with it. :)
Listen to the voice in your head: "I want Sonar 3, I want Sonar 3"... :D

Back