Newb Getting Set Up...

BrooklynSurfer

Greetings..all and any input would be greatly appreciated..

I'm a musician who's finally taking the plunge into the world of homerecording. I'll be laying down guitars, piano, bass, and also delving into sampling.

This is where I'm at right now.

I'll be starting from scratch so this is what I'm looking at right now for my hardware and software set up which I plan to purchase shortly...

Sonar Producer

Dell (Notebook) Inspiron 9100 P4 3.2 GHZ (notebook so I can incorporate loops, etc at live shows).
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/
Memory 512MB,400MHz,2DIMM (is this enough or should I go for 1 Gig).

I need an audio interface...I was looking at the M-Audio hardware..Looking for 4 inputs or more.

A few of my main questions are:

How are the sound cards that come with Dell? If I should
should upgrade what would you recommend and how do I go about installing?

Midi Control keyboard (I already have a Korg SP-500, which has some Midi Inputs)

Good drum machine program program?

Any info. or feedback, remmendations would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

First of all....

Welcome to our home/family here at HR.COM. :)

Second of all, you will need to let us know your budget.

spin

BrooklynSurfer said:
Greetings..all and any input would be greatly appreciated..

I'm a musician who's finally taking the plunge into the world of homerecording. I'll be laying down guitars, piano, bass, and also delving into sampling.

This is where I'm at right now.

I'll be starting from scratch so this is what I'm looking at right now for my hardware and software set up which I plan to purchase shortly...

1. Sonar Producer

2. Dell (Notebook) Inspiron 9100 P4 3.2 GHZ (notebook so I can incorporate loops, etc at live shows).
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/
Memory 512MB,400MHz,2DIMM (is this enough or should I go for 1 Gig).

3. I need an audio interface...I was looking at the M-Audio hardware..Looking for 4 inputs or more.
4. How are the sound cards that come with Dell?

5. If I should, should upgrade what would you recommend and how do I go about installing?

6. Midi Control keyboard (I already have a Korg SP-500, which has some Midi Inputs)

7. Good drum machine program program?

8. Thanks.

1. GREAT choice.
2. I would suggest a DESKTOP that is in a case for mobile use (it will depend on your budget). Plus, the hard drive speed iss not that fast. I would suggest at least 1GIG of RAM.
3. I would say theat M Audio soundcards are a good choice. Once again, we will need to know your budget. And/or your choice of laptop or desktop.
4. They probably come witha Sound Blaster (which will be good if you are going to use SondFonts. You will still need to get a new soundcard.
5. Until we know you budget, the type of computer, plus some more info..... I'll suggest M-Audio.
6. Did you mean MIDI OUTPUTS????
7. Battery by Native Instruments
8. No problem. That's why we are here.

Peace...

spin

Thanks

Spin-

Thanks for the info..

Ok..so I'll go for the 1 Gig..

I'm still leaning toward the notebook for mobility and also space in my apartment.

I checkout M-Audio I was thinking of their Delta 66 soundcard/interface solution: $599.

BSurfer

caution...re laptops

If you are going to use a laptop, try to get one that has built-in firewire. At least some people have had serious problems getting USB-based audio/Midi external interfaces working reliably. M-audio, and some others, make decent firewire interfaces that can meet your minimum needs (perhaps with an inexpensive mixer for more than a couple of mics) for less than $500. I'm a computer engineer with 30 years of experience, and the USB protocols, even the newer 2.0 version, really aren't meant for high-speed real-time input. USB 2.0 might work for you, but I would never use the original 12 mbs USB for any audio work (midi maybe...).

Back