New Vocal Mic

ahendy

I've been using the MXL 990 successfully for about three years now, but I recently dropped it and it's a paperweight now. Not really a big deal, since it's such a cheap mic.

For simply recording vocals, what are your opinions for a sub $200 vocal microphone?

I've been looking at some more expensive MXLs, and a couple of other brands. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Andy

If I were in your situation I would probably get a AT4040 for 300.00 bucks rather than getting the really cheap mics. Some companies throw in a set of free headphones with the purchase too.

SE electronics aint to be sniffed at either I have 2x2200a's & use them in preference to a neumann TLM103 :eek:

Not trying to be snotty but if you liked the 990 and used it for 3 years why don't you buy another one and save $150 towards your next mic. jmho. It's hard to find a mic that you are comfortable with and if the 990 suits you well then you could use the new one while you save for something nicer. It would also give you a chance to try out onther mics along the way.

My vote goes toward the Rode NT1-A. It seems this is a favorite to critisize on this and a few other boards. However for shear lack of self noise, build, resistance to RF interferance and overall frequency response IMHO it can't be beat. Most of the critisizim comes where either a inferior preamp or maladjustment of said preamp applies. I used everything from a onboard preamps of the D3200 Korg, to a ART TPS-II tube as well as a TC-Helicon Voiceworks. It is very sensitive, rich and while indeed it has a slight rise in the upper registers I don't call it particularly "hyped" as I would in the case of most Chinese mics. The bottom is rock solid and overall transparency is admirable. For 200 bucks you get a nice shock mount as well. I prefer to use this mic on male vocals and acoustic guitar.

I just bought an AT3035 and got an MXL 990/991 pack free. GC is having a buy a condesor mic and you get the MXL's thrown in deal. That's what I'd recommend because you'll end up with 3 mics for the budget you are talking about.

slidey said:
SE electronics aint to be sniffed at either I have 2x2200a's & use them in preference to a neumann TLM103 :eek:

The 2200A is a very under-talked about mic. Quite impressive and no harsh top end stuff going on either. Very nice midrange response as well.

War

MXL V69ME is $247 at fullcompass, otherwise give a listen to the ADK hamburg. If you think you might want a multipattern CAD M179 might be a good choice.

Micter said:
I just bought an AT3035 and got an MXL 990/991 pack free. GC is having a buy a condesor mic and you get the MXL's thrown in deal. That's what I'd recommend because you'll end up with 3 mics for the budget you are talking about.

Is this just your GC or a nationwide deal? Also have any idea when it ends?
(sorry for hijacking)

mentalattica said:
Is this just your GC or a nationwide deal? Also have any idea when it ends?
(sorry for hijacking)

I found the same deal at 3 different GC's in my area. I bet if you push the issue they'd honor the deal these other GC's are offering

Check out the ADK Hamburg or Vienna if your budget will stretch to the $250 area. I also sent you a PM on a couple of other mics as well. Good luck.

Back