New video and mix I did

dyme

New video I edited with track that I recorded, mixed and mastered in my home studio apartment.

Any feedback on the edit or mix is appreciated.

Cheers

All around nice.

The only thing I'd say about the video is, the shot thoughts should have been a little more thoughtful. You always cut on the correct beat, and each individual shot was good. But, the overall feel was random. It started out well, it just kind of floundered in the flow. The music progressed, the video didn't. I hope that makes sense.

Still for DIY, very nice.

Yeah, nice mix. It sounds even and the bass out of the subwoofer is blended well. Voice is up front. I like the record skipping kinda thing in the beat. I still spin records too. Great mix.

The kick has some not on the beat, so there's a kind of lurch every now and then. I bet of you look at it on the grid, you'll see some in the wrong place. My best guess from doing it myself is quantisation pulling a note the wrong way. It's actually OK to listen to, and while the video is a bit random - it's decent quality and that means you can look at things, which is always interesting.

it just kind of floundered in the flow. The music progressed, the video didn't.
I agree with this.

It was all quite tasteful, but there was no story in the video. So it ended up being an elegant collection of studio shots (which would make a grat promo for a studio), but which had no obvious connection to the song.

All around nice.

The only thing I'd say about the video is, the shot thoughts should have been a little more thoughtful. You always cut on the correct beat, and each individual shot was good. But, the overall feel was random. It started out well, it just kind of floundered in the flow. The music progressed, the video didn't. I hope that makes sense.

Still for DIY, very nice.
This is exactly the feedback I'm after, so thanks. I actually didn't pre-plan any of the shots and just ran with it, so its showing in the final product. I'll try my best next time to address this. Appreciate your time checking it out and responding.

Yeah, nice mix. It sounds even and the bass out of the subwoofer is blended well. Voice is up front. I like the record skipping kinda thing in the beat. I still spin records too. Great mix.
Thanks man! The low end is always problematic. I have some bass traps under the desk but its always hard to guage. Glad to hear over all it is clear and an even mix. Thanks for the feedback.

The kick has some not on the beat, so there's a kind of lurch every now and then. I bet of you look at it on the grid, you'll see some in the wrong place. My best guess from doing it myself is quantisation pulling a note the wrong way. It's actually OK to listen to, and while the video is a bit random - it's decent quality and that means you can look at things, which is always interesting.
Cheers for the feedback. I'm always wanting to have my drums with a bit of a swing and not locked to the grid with quantisation, so thats the feel I was going for believe it or not. I'll keep this in mind in the future though, and try not to make it them too loose.

I agree with this.

It was all quite tasteful, but there was no story in the video. So it ended up being an elegant collection of studio shots (which would make a grat promo for a studio), but which had no obvious connection to the song.
Thanks for the input. Now that its been mentioned I totally agree. I'll keep it in mind going forward to make things more interesting and relatable to the song. Cheers mate.

I do the same, but depending on the song, I try to get the swing from the snare, hats and toms, and strive to get the kick on the beat to give the lock. Bass and kick drum especially need to play as one, beat wise. That doesn't mean the odd double hit, or twiddly bits on the bass, but the bass and drums are the engine room for rhythm, and then everything can swing around it, but with the thing locked. I was doing a track yesterday that was quite loose - and it was a bit of a mess in places. I'm a rotten drummer and often play ahead of the beat (I call that style, my friend who is a drummer calls it rubbish playing) quantising the kick drum only sorted it out.

To Gecko - I've been doing videos for years and have to admit I really struggle with story to songs. I discovered recently in a forum topic that I simply don't hear lyrics. People were talking about songs I know well and talking about the story. I had to go back and re-listen and they were dead right. So many really interesting stories I'd missed for maybe 50 years! For me, songs with a melody and words are just a melody. I've thought about the words I sang on stage every show. I didn't know the meaning of any of them.

I messed up one song because I started to listen to the words I was singing, and realised there was a story - and was so surprised I forgot what was coming next!

After all these years, now I have ideas for videos I'd not had before. I suspect my video would have been very similar to dame's - a sequence of shots cut nicely together.

To Gecko - I've been doing videos for years and have to admit I really struggle with story to songs.
I too struggle with story to songs.

And for some videos, even though there is no story as such in the vision, I do try to get a sense of progression in the imagery, even if there is no connection to the lyrics (and in quite a few cases there are no lyrics anyway). But the aim is to keep the listener engaged, and want to continue watching.

I really liked the footage, thought it was all nicely put together. And although I don't often listen to this style of music I reckon the mix sounded great.

I do the same, but depending on the song, I try to get the swing from the snare, hats and toms, and strive to get the kick on the beat to give the lock. Bass and kick drum especially need to play as one, beat wise. That doesn't mean the odd double hit, or twiddly bits on the bass, but the bass and drums are the engine room for rhythm, and then everything can swing around it, but with the thing locked. I was doing a track yesterday that was quite loose - and it was a bit of a mess in places. I'm a rotten drummer and often play ahead of the beat (I call that style, my friend who is a drummer calls it rubbish playing) quantising the kick drum only sorted it out.

To Gecko - I've been doing videos for years and have to admit I really struggle with story to songs. I discovered recently in a forum topic that I simply don't hear lyrics. People were talking about songs I know well and talking about the story. I had to go back and re-listen and they were dead right. So many really interesting stories I'd missed for maybe 50 years! For me, songs with a melody and words are just a melody. I've thought about the words I sang on stage every show. I didn't know the meaning of any of them.

I messed up one song because I started to listen to the words I was singing, and realised there was a story - and was so surprised I forgot what was coming next!

After all these years, now I have ideas for videos I'd not had before. I suspect my video would have been very similar to dame's - a sequence of shots cut nicely together.
Sweet man, that makes sense with the drums. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I really liked the footage, thought it was all nicely put together. And although I don't often listen to this style of music I reckon the mix sounded great.
Much appreciated man. Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Back