new tunes for Dark Alternative/Industrial project requiring review

Simes

Heya kids,

I've gotten some valuable feedback in the past on tunes I've release at mp3.com, and since I've just posted a couple more, I'd appreciate the constructive feedback offered by the fair listeners of this group.

The page is at http://mp3.com/ulcerate and the new tunes are the first two listed, "Deal" and "A Slight Case Of...". Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Here's the gear list for these recordings:

Hardware:
PIII 866 w/SB Live soundcard
Behringer Mixer
Line 6 Pod v2
Line 6 Bass Pod
Epiphone Les Paul
Hartke 5 string bass
Rode NT1 Microphone

Software:
Cool Edit Pro w/DX Plugins

Granted this list doesn't represent the qualities of a decent pro studio, but I think the results considering the gear, are pretty decent.

Over to you guys and gals....

Regards

Simon Kean
Ulcerate

"A Slight Case of..." is very good.. Makes me think of the U" album Zooropa.. Very nice drumsloop! I'd try to process the vocals even more..(45 secs later) Yup... definitely a very good song. It's a keeper.. thx

"Deal" got two problems in my opinion.. First, the drums totally ruins the mood that was building up.. So does the vocals.. Try making them melt into the other stuff..

Gonna listen to the other stuff too...

Ironically, I finished a re-cut version of "A Slight Case Of..." last night, which has been posted to the mp3.com site, and should be live in the next day or two.

The new version has a lot more variation in the vocal department with some interesting layering, and 6-7 different vocal ideas interweaving at the end of the track. I've hyper-compressed the bassline and the track has a better general feel to it.

Shall be doing more of the same with "Deal" today.

Thanks for the constructive criticism....appreciated.

Regards

Simon Kean

http://mp3.com/ulcerate

Ok....I've been inspired, and found the time to remix everything and also re-track some vocals and guitars. The collection of tunes as a "whole" now sounds a lot more focused, and representative of what I'm hearing in my head.

http://mp3.com/ulcerate - streaming & downloadable audio

Cheers,

Simon

good drum sounds, both songs....I like that buzz/bee/hummm droning on in there too in "Deal"....
"A Slight Case..." my fave......0:38 change was smoooooothe....gibs

Simon...

I'm not really into industrial tunes, but you do a helluva job on these songs!
I thought the whole production sounded very professional and would easily make a club full of twenty-somethings pump their fists in the air with approval.
I checked out at least 3 minutes of every song, and before long even "I" was getting into it! ;)
I think you're on to something here. All you need is some good promotion and a few new songs, just in case something breaks and more material is needed.
Great job!

Buck

(P.S. You put "Stabbing Westward" twice in the "similar artists" section. Just thought you'd like to know) :)

Appreciate the positive feedback. Makes my day to hear things like that.

In regards to the promotional aspects of the music business, that I find, is much tougher than the production of music. Getting people in a position to distribute your music, to listen is extremely hard. I'll keep plugging away and sending out countless more demo's :)

Thanks and regards,

Simon

oh shit man... "A Slight Case of.." has now turned into a song their neither U2 or Massive Attack would hesitate to release.

There are a couple of things that I would experiment a bit with. NOTE. only to make the song even more in my taste. It's perfectly fine as it is, there's just a few things that'd make it sound just as I want it to ;)

1. Replace the reverb of the vocals with a more "transparent" one.. maybe some delay.. You don't have a pro-voiced girl in the closet?

2. The rythmic adventure at 1.58.. Have you tried to distort it a bit? Maybe with a slightly decreased volyme.. Not a biggy, but I think it might sound good.

Again.. This is IMO the best song posted here since Teddie posted "I drank a lot today".. Keep it up man!!!

- Mesh

ok.. You did some really good things with Deal aswell.. That percussive guitar that pops up every now and then is too damn good..

Seriously.. No dis man.. Have you thought of picking up a "real" singer? You sing ok, but your songs deserve a "pro"..

Again. No dis.. You do great music!

No dis taken. :) I've thought about getting other people to contribute vocals and have a few people in mind to work with. These tunes may be the vehicle that opens those kind of opportunities up.

In regards to my vocals, I don't pretend to have any amazing ability in that area, and part of the problem is that I'm still trying to find my true range/sound/technique.

I've been an active musician since I could walk, but singing lead vocals is a relatively new area for me. It's something I'm definitely working at, and think will improve over time. In the short time I've been recording/writing my own stuff, the improvement I shown (to myself)is enough for me to keep persevering with it.

In a perfect world, I'd like to expand the Ulcerate project to incorporate a small collective of 3-4 musicians + me, where different influences and production methods can be blended with my own ideas......rant over :)

Thanks again for the constructive comments. It's all good!

Simon

Man... you just have no clue about how good this is... The "DJ's" I know love it, and if there'd been another singer; they'd most certainly play it where they DJ at...

damn you 'shuggah!

Re-listened to "Deal" this morning, and thought I could put in a less lethargic vocal performance on this track, and so spent some time recutting the vocal. Had added some additional production to the vocal mix using the "telephone" technique along with a spreader and some reverb, and the results are better than the original vocal.

Still not 100% sold of the vocal for this track, but it is an improvement.

How long can one keep butchering a demo? :)

Cheers,

Simon

Back