New tune - "SOngabout" - Big ol' jam tune with 10 horns

Wow...really cool...I love bands like Tower Of Power, Chicago (70's) ,etc...this just sounds pro to a hack like me:p...Cool keyboard solo..the bass guitar is also really good man...agree with Rami, drums up just a bit would really kick.....fantastic!

Wow...really cool...I love bands like Tower Of Power, Chicago (70's) ,etc...this just sounds pro to a hack like me:p...Cool keyboard solo..the bass guitar is also really good man...agree with Rami, drums up just a bit would really kick.....fantastic!

Thanks Queep!! I may bump the drums. Hafta look at it...

Very cool, very cool. Tough one to mix with all the lines and counter punches flying everywhere. I think there is definately some phasing issues with the trumpets...especially when they are up in the upper registers behind the sax line. I think the fact that there is alot of harmonic space between the trumpets and the sax highten the issue. A tenor or trombone line in between the two would likely mask alot of it.

The drum mix seems to be a bit crispy and the snare does kinda get tucked away in spots. The organ solo is kinda buggin me...it seems a bit shrill, but I'm kinda a Hammond junkie, so take that with a ounce or two of rotor oil.:D The keys seemed a bit light overall as well. But, that's being really nit-picky. This is a very, very solid mix of a very challenging tune. I'd be lucky to get it to sounding half this good.:)

Loved the tag.:cool:

Very cool, very cool. Tough one to mix with all the lines and counter punches flying everywhere. I think there is definately some phasing issues with the trumpets...especially when they are up in the upper registers behind the sax line. I think the fact that there is alot of harmonic space between the trumpets and the sax highten the issue. A tenor or trombone line in between the two would likely mask alot of it.

The drum mix seems to be a bit crispy and the snare does kinda get tucked away in spots. The organ solo is kinda buggin me...it seems a bit shrill, but I'm kinda a Hammond junkie, so take that with a ounce or two of rotor oil.:D The keys seemed a bit light overall as well. But, that's being really nit-picky. This is a very, very solid mix of a very challenging tune. I'd be lucky to get it to sounding half this good.:)

Loved the tag.:cool:

I love me some deceptive cadence, man. :)

I'm still fighting with this mix. :) There actually is a tenor line, but if I put it any higher than it is, it just JUMPS out front, and it's a mid-lower harmony and sounds weird. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be fussing with it tonight, I think... Wish I had a trombone part though... Love the way it fattens a chart.

Sooo cool I wanna record a horn section. I guess I'll start with beans and work my way from there:)

Hey, beans are cool. So to speak. :)

Here's a new mix, The drums are up 1.5dB, the lead horns are down a smidge, and the balance is shifted a bit to the sax. The organ solo is fattened in the lower mids and less shrill. widened the field on the trumpets and fiddled with phase of 2 of them. Bari solo is a little hotter and a little fatter. Piano and Rhodes a bit hotter. Tambo cuts better.

Back